Windows 8 Backup Failure on WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Windows 8 Consumer Preview. WHS connector loads just fine and I have no problems connecting to the server. All backups fail, however, with a message indicating that WHS thinks I have an error on one of my disks that's preventing the backup. I've run chkdsk /r /f on all my disks and no errors are found.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Any solution out there? I'm told backup should work but I'm stuck. Any assistance very much appreciated.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:08 AM

All replies

• Its a consumer preview, very many of app, profiles and functionality has been hindered are you sure this is a included function? I mean why would you have to back up a limited beta edition of windows 8, I know when I tried running it I have very limited functionality remember its still in beta, not even a RC, I think when it moves to RC1 or RC2 you might have better luck.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:23 AM
  • I'm hoping the RCs don't have the problem. I'm trying to back up just my data disks, not my operating system drive. What's really puzzling is that I have another Windows 8 machine (a Samsung Slate 7) that has no problems backing up to the WHS.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:36 AM
  • Hi,

Please post the error message here when the backup failed.

One more thing is, please open the event viewer in your Windows 8 client, go to Windows Logs -> Application. You can use "Filter Current Log" in the action pane and select to show error, warning and critical only. Then, please check there is any event from VSS or Windows Backup sources. If there is, please post them here also.

Best Regards,

Junyong

Friday, May 4, 2012 2:30 AM
  • I'm not sure what happened but with this month's updates from Microsoft, backup started working. No configuration change on my part, but, poof!, now things are working fine.
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:31 PM