Systems Integration Sr. Advisor RRS feed

• Question

• This topic pertains to personal Home use.

I have one legal non-OEM copy of WinXP that I successfully activated after replacing the motherboard.  When my SATA drive comes in, I plan to image it as the boot HDD, and shelf my IDE boot HDD as a spare drive along with all the other spare parts for my desktop.  Questions:

1) Will it successfully let me activate the SATA drive when I go to image it with XP?

2) Will my IDE drive remain successfully activated when I shelf it after getting past 1) in case I ever need to put it back into the specific PC to replace the SATA?

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:10 AM

Answers

• "Bogie9" wrote in message news:6232abe3-6583-4f6a-87c5-6fac8c41600d...

This topic pertains to personal Home use.

I have one legal non-OEM copy of WinXP that I successfully activated after replacing the motherboard.  When my SATA drive comes in, I plan to image it as the boot HDD, and shelf my IDE boot HDD as a spare drive along with all the other spare parts for my desktop.  Questions:

1) Will it successfully let me activate the SATA drive when I go to image it with XP?

2) Will my IDE drive remain successfully activated when I shelf it after getting past 1) in case I ever need to put it back into the specific PC to replace the SATA?

1) You are likely to have problems, because XP doesn’t natively support SATA drives. – activation will not be
    a problem, although you may have to re-activate by phone.
    2) That should not be a problem – again, you may have to re-activate by phone.

However, this forum is not the right one for this type of query – you should ask in the more appropriate Windows Answers forums for assistance with the migration.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:30 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:43 AM