none
Bloody forum broken already!? RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to view some threads, though not all(??), the forum is shifted over so that the leftmost 150-200 pixels (at a guess, of course) are not visible. Makes it damned difficult to read the thread. This thread exhibits this behavior http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/web/thread/179c1e4e-753d-42fb-b6f0-532d3ebf524e, as well as perhaps three or four others I've seen recently.

The symptom is that the page initially loads normally, with the left margin visible, and then as the page finishes loading, the message area width appears to grow to the left (that is, the right side seems to stay fixed and the area widens, with the widening occurring leftward).

I've tried various combinations of settings in IE—IE8 mode, IE7 mode, IE8 in compat mode, etc., and the same thing also happens in Safari and Firefox 3.0.11, so it seems to be a forum issue, not a browser-specific issue.

Anyone else seeing this besides me? Anyone know a solution?

• Moved by Anna Ullrich Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:59 PM feedback about the forums (From:Expression Web)
    • Moved by Don Tan Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:51 AM Moving from Suggestions/Feedback to Forums Issues (From:Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums)
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:12 PM

Answers

• It's fixed. I looked at all the posts for that thread (including root message). There were 2 posts that had valid HTML Tags however had invalid HTML formatting. It had <Head>, <Meta Tags>, etc...

Now I wonder how those posts got submitted. Looking at the raw HTML from those 2 posts, I'm sure it didn't came from the Forums Editor.

Anyhow, It's fixed but I'd like to investigate this further.

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:06 AM

All replies

• Have you tried setting the text size smaller in the browser?
    View > Text Size

It is the only way the forum is useable foe me

FrontPage MVP
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:28 PM
  • Heh, heh.. thanks for the suggestion, but I just tried it and all it did was make more text unreadable as more disappeared off the right edge. Even tried "smallest," and man, is that tiny?! ;-)

I can't figure it. What weirds me about it is that it only happens with isolated messages. I've seen perhaps a half-dozen total, if that, but when it does happen, it happens the same every time they're opened, and it happens the same to all those affected, so whatever it is there is a degree of constancy, which may make it amenable to troubleshooting. Here's hoping...

cheers,
    scott
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:54 PM
  • That's the first I've seen of it. That linked thread is definitely weird. I can't even get a handle on all the code they used, so I won't hazard a guess as to the why. As to any solution, the only workaround I have come up with is to use Firebug to change the left margin. That makes it readable, but it's a pain in the neck to do that any time this bugaboo rears its ugly head. Hopefully the geniuses that brought us "puke orange" will fix this soon.

Jim
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Oh, good! At least now I know it's reproducible, at least for two of us. Now I can go over to the bugs forum and bug it, and point to this thread. Be nice if anyone else who has seen it could also chime in, so their responses would be here when the forum devs come a-lookin'... ;-)

cheers,
    scott
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:04 PM
  • Yeah, it's weirded out on my computer too unless I widen the viewport to about 1450px.

I've had it happen on a few threads when I tried to Reply, too.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:11 PM
  • That thread is weird for me too.

The forum has been broken for me since the switch to the orange version.

FrontPage MVP
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:43 PM
  • FWIW, I usually don't click on the link to open it. I generally prefer to click to the right of the link to drop down the thread in the main forum page. This occasionally acts up in weird ways too, but I have never seen this particular problem when viewing that way. In fact, the thread you cited shows just fine as a drop-down. You might give that a try.

Jim
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:45 PM
  • Yup. I'm able to repro the problem as well. I'm moving this thread to the Forums Issues (not product support) forum.

The thread looks very wierd to me. I think there could be a malformed xml in one the posts that's causing the issue.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:50 AM
  • It's fixed. I looked at all the posts for that thread (including root message). There were 2 posts that had valid HTML Tags however had invalid HTML formatting. It had <Head>, <Meta Tags>, etc...

Now I wonder how those posts got submitted. Looking at the raw HTML from those 2 posts, I'm sure it didn't came from the Forums Editor.

Anyhow, It's fixed but I'd like to investigate this further.

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:06 AM