Not Enough RAM? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install WHS 2011 on one of my old laptops sitting around. It has a 2 GHZ 64 Bit AMD processor, 2GB of Ram and a 250GB harddrive. It meets the requirements however when I go to install it says there is not enough RAM and I only have 1.75 GB of RAM. I assume this is because of the graphics card. Is there anyway to bypass the requirements? I know when I had Windows 7 on it it also used to say 1.75 GB of RAM but eventually it said it had 2.
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 8:17 PM

All replies

• You need 2GB RAM available to the OS or the install will fail - time for a new SODIMM?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:57 PM
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:28 PM
  • As you surmise, your laptop uses system memory as video memory, reserving 256 MB for video memory. Unfortunately, this is a "hard" floor; there are services that will fail if memory is significantly lower than 2 GB. You can see if turning off "shared memory" in your computer's BIOS will help (assuming your laptop even allows that), but in the long run you won't want to run Windows Home Server on a laptop anyway, due to thermal and expansion issues, so I would recommend purchasing new hardware now.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:56 PM
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:55 PM