Used space: incorrectly displayed... help!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

I have a basic (conceptual) question about the WHS.  Following is my setup right now:

On the system where I have WHS installed, I have:
    - 2 internal HDD (500 GB each)

I recently added two external 320 GB HDDs and I see some weird behavior.  I added the 2 external HDD to my storage pool, and WHS console is displaying the free and used space correctly.  However, when I look at the "disk properties" of the DATA (D:\) on the WHS server, I see that "Used space:" shows ".,+0)-.+,, bytes"; that sure is cryptic.  And for "Free space:", it shows the correct amount of free space (after adding the two external HDD to the storage pool).  Also, for "Capacity", it shows 445GB, which is the capacity of the 500GB internal HDDs that I have in there.

This started happening when I added the external drive to the system.  From the functional standpoint, everything is working just great.  Am I mising something here?  Is this how its suppose to be?  Is it getting confused because the total available space is greater than the biggest HDD that is in the system internally?  Any insight into this would help.  Thanks.

Ketan
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 3:56 AM

Answers

• Ketan Shah said:

Hey guys,

I have a basic (conceptual) question about the WHS.  Following is my setup right now:

On the system where I have WHS installed, I have:
    - 2 internal HDD (500 GB each)

I recently added two external 320 GB HDDs and I see some weird behavior.  I added the 2 external HDD to my storage pool, and WHS console is displaying the free and used space correctly.  However, when I look at the "disk properties" of the DATA (D:\) on the WHS server, I see that "Used space:" shows ".,+0)-.+,, bytes"; that sure is cryptic.  And for "Free space:", it shows the correct amount of free space (after adding the two external HDD to the storage pool).  Also, for "Capacity", it shows 445GB, which is the capacity of the 500GB internal HDDs that I have in there.

This started happening when I added the external drive to the system.  From the functional standpoint, everything is working just great.  Am I mising something here?  Is this how its suppose to be?  Is it getting confused because the total available space is greater than the biggest HDD that is in the system internally?  Any insight into this would help.  Thanks.

Ketan

That is normal behavior.  It has to due with the November update which basically tricks the client OSes into seeing the free space of the entire storage pool (instead of just the primary drive).
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:21 AM