none
UK user wanting to use Money on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the UK and I want to use Microsoft Money on a new Windows 7 computer, and to access 10 years' history. Currently I have Money 99 which is incompatible with Windows 7 so I need to make an upgrade. First, can anyone confirm that the Sunset version is the only one compatible with Windows 7? Second, assuming so, how can I convert my UK .MNY data file so that it can be read-in to the US Sunset version? (since there is no UK sunset version)
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 11:35 PM

All replies

• With regard to your first question, no. Nobody would confirm that.

With regard to your second statement, what causes you to say "Money 99 which is incompatible with Windows 7 "?

Is that 32- or 64-bit Windows 7 with which you had a problem with Money 99?

regarding your last question, QIF export and import would be the only way that I could suggest. That process has limitiations, but it has its advantages.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:22 AM
  • As Cal has mentioned, QIF export is the way to go. I used Money 2005 UK until around 2006, and then did the QIF export/import into the US version. This has allowed me to use all the later Money releases, and now Sunset. It works fine.

For the QIF export try to do it on two separate computers so you can reconcile. And when you import the QIF files, improt them ALL together, not just one, otherwise you lose the links for any inter-account transfers.

I actually use it on an XP Virtual PC as I have MoneyLink and Office 64-bit, but Sunset does work fine on Win 7.

Jim (in the UK).

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:11 AM
  • Ha - thanks! Money 99 seems to work on Windows 7 (32 bit) after all! On loading the Money 99 CD I get a dialogue box with the title "This program is blocked due to compatibility issues", and it goes on to explain that the version of Windows Media Technologies on the CD is apparently incompatible or superseded.

Prompted by your reply, this time I cancelled the dialogue and was able to proceed with the installation. Later on it also gave me an ACMSETUP.EXE corrupt file message and asked me to run the Chkdsk utility.

However, so far so good, neither of these messages seem to matter. Money 99 works fine so far, despite these warning messages.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:49 AM
  • I've posted this on another thread - but this one seems more relevant.

I use Money UK 2001 (having upgraded from an earlier version!) for ALL my financial records, including a portfolio of around 100 equities, bonds and OEICs plus a large number of bank, savings, broker and credit card accounts - containing about 15 years-worth of data. I download transaction data from all those banks and card companies that offer the facility and rely on automated reconciliation. In short, it's my financial world and I keep virtually no paper records! [It's heavily backed-up daily - in 3 ways!]

My current experience is pretty good. For some reason I don't seem to have been impacted (yet?) by the cessation of stock-price updating (although the Internet Update reminder seems to think that no updates have been received since 19 July 2011!). I always get told that 'an error was encountered while processing a downloaded file ('SMRTINET.INI') during SmartConnect' - but I think this only affects system updates, so it's not surprising. I still suffer from about 6 OEICs not updating (even when a symbol is produced by the look-up reference), mainly quite new launches. Only somewhat more concerning is the fairly regular fault with several indexes I follow [of necessity, as Investments to Watch] (FTSE 350 [NMX], FTSE 350 Higher Income [HIX], FTSE All-share [ASX]) which keep erroneously updating recent historical (but not current!) values by multiplying a few of them by either 100 or 10,000 (or, in one case, randomly inserting a significantly lower value on one past day); I manually correct them each time, but for the next few days the error is repeated - quite bizarre. However, I shouldn't complain!

I've been reading about all the problems that UK users of Money 2005 are having (or will have) since discontinuation of the online support and I'm concerned about whether my version (and my data) will survive an imminent transfer [from Windows Vista HP (32-bit) SP2, but running Money in XP SP2 Compatibility Mode] to a new computer just purchased which runs on Windows 7 HP (64-bit) . Does anyone yet have experience of this change with Money UK 2001? If so do you have any tips? I can't bear to think of this failing, so I'm looking for any helpful input from you wonderful people!

Thanks for everyone who contributes to this site - it's a lifeline.

Sunday, November 27, 2011 1:06 AM
  • John, I suggest you downoad and save safely the UK Money 2005 install file. http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26915

Use that to install Money 2005 UK if you have trouble with your UK Money 2001 on the new computer.

• Proposed as answer by John Edwards1 Saturday, March 10, 2012 6:14 PM
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 5:10 AM
  • Thanks Cal - have done. I presume that to use it (if I need to) I'd have to acquire a copy of M2005UK. Are they available to download?
    Monday, November 28, 2011 1:49 PM
  • Thanks Cal - have done. I presume that to use it (if I need to) I'd have to acquire a copy of M2005UK. Are they available to download?
    It is standalone product, as it says on the download page.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Sorry - doesn't the download simply allow you to (re-)install Money UK 2005 (which it presumes you already have)?
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:59 AM
  • The Money UK 2005 SP2 installation file is self-contained and it does not depend on having a prior installation.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 1:04 AM
  • After prevaricating for too long, I've completed the changeover I outlined above - using the standalone Money UK 2005 you so kindly pointed me to - and it has worked fine. I'm still getting all the price updates I was before (and strangely the index errors I mentioned have largely stopped!). Thanks for your help.

However, I've just noticed something concerning: within the investment accounts section, the presentation of past data in the Cash Transactions pages has become very flaky. When opening such a page (set to show all transactions), the data area (where the transactions should be) can be completely blank (not even any lines or columns) although the ending balance is shown correctly - and it's only by clicking where the entries should be (in the top 5 lines) that they magically appear, one at a time. I can then use the up and down arrows to reveal them, but if I go too far down the final entry is repeated any number of times!

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour?

One other question: When working with an record for a particular investment (accessed from the portfolio or the inverstment summary), I can't switch directly to another investment as I used to be able to. There's a box a the top showing the current investment's name and a drop-down next to it which would suggest that others may be accessible through that. However, the drop-down box that appears is empty! Have I set something wrongly?

Saturday, March 10, 2012 6:38 PM
  • Re my above post - the flakiness described in the second para seems to have cured itself! It MAY have been exhibited just on the first occasion I have accessed each of those pages since installation.

One other issue though: I'm now backing up on to a USB 3.0 stick (which is just so much faster!)  -but despite having a huge capacity, it always tells me that the disk is full and when I simply say OK (lying that I have inserted a second disk!) - it adds another 1kb file and happily closes. I've checked that it reinstates from backup  - and it's fine. Any thoughts as to why this happens?

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:46 AM
  • One other issue though: I'm now backing up on to a USB 3.0 stick (which is just so much faster!)  -but despite having a huge capacity, it always tells me that the disk is full and when I simply say OK (lying that I have inserted a second disk!) - it adds another 1kb file and happily closes. I've checked that it reinstates from backup  - and it's fine. Any thoughts as to why this happens?

It's a quirk. One workaround is to fill the drive so there is less than 2 GB of free space. Another is to partition the drive, and make a 2 GB partition for Money 2005 acccess.

Money Plus (North American) does not have that quirk.

• Proposed as answer by John Edwards1 Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:55 AM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:06 AM
  • Won't partitioning a USB waste the rest of the space?

My preferred workaround for this quirk is to but a few 2GB USB sticks and use them ONLY for Money backups.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:08 PM
  • Won't partitioning a USB waste the rest of the space?

My preferred workaround for this quirk is to but a few 2GB USB sticks and use them ONLY for Money backups.

No, you would get two drive letters, which I presume you could assign to be whatever unused drive letter you wanted them to be. So on your 16 GB drive, you could have a 14 GB L: and a 2 GB M:

Another option would be to create a 2 GB or smaller virtual drive on the USB, which you would mount. With TrueCrypt you would have the added advantage of strong encryption.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:11 PM
  • Thanks Cal - but I don't seem to be able to partition my USB stick (it's 16GB). In Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management, right clicking on the stick (shown as Active, Primary, Removable) shows Shrink Volume (etc) greyed out. Should it be?

Perhaps the answer's to buy a smaller stick!

Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:44 AM
  • After doing some reading, it seems that you have to use a third party utility to accomplish partitioning a removable drive by first making it appear to be a non-removable drive. http://www.ehow.com/how_5991078_partition-removable-disk.html

As you and banjomike point out,  separate 2 GB drive works easily. You or a friend may already have one that you stopped using when you got a bigger drive.

Using up space with big files works, but with a 16 gig drive, that is a lot of work to fiddle with.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:27 AM
  • Try using MSMoney version 205 I use this in Windows 8 having used it in windows 7 runs OK on both windows versions. Only problem is that it will not close down the Taskmaster and you have to close that down separately or it will not restart. Version 205 of MSMoney is geared to the UK and I am able to track investments for years back. Good Luck!
    Monday, December 17, 2012 6:51 PM