Restoring Files from Backup RRS feed

• Question

•  

- Daughter #1 computer is riddled with virus/malware... tried lots of things (Adare, Spybot, One Care, etc).

- Gave up on fixing..

- Backed up files using Windows Live OneCare to a hub computer (mine) onto USB Hard Drive attached to my computer.

- This drive is used soley for backups

- USB drive holds files for three computers;  Daddy, Daughter #1, Daughter#2

- Purchased upgrade to Daughter #1 computer... to Vista, from XP.

- Vista installed well.

- Trying to restore files from backup (just photos for now).

- Found relevant files per procedures for restore

- Restore fails due to "permissions"

- I am administrator on all computers and Windows live one care.

What to do?

Thx

Rob

Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:55 PM

Answers

• You didn't muck things up by taking ownership of the backup files.

No, you can't specify where to restore the files to, they will always restore to the same folders unless the destination already contains the files being restored, in which case it places the restored files in a folder at the root of C: in my recollection.

There's no easy way to manually locate the files within the zipped backups, but you can't hurt anything by going through them. If you delete any files from within the zips, it may impact the ability to use the OneCare restore, though.

-steve

Monday, October 20, 2008 5:17 PM

All replies

• Is OneCare on the new PC and is the backup you are trying to restore located on the drive attached to the hub still?

Have tried first performing a new backup for the new PC to the Centralized Backup location?

-steve

Friday, October 17, 2008 12:26 AM
  • Yes, OneCare is on thenew PC.

Yes, backup is on hub.

No I have not tried backingup thenew PC to the central backup, but will do so.

Note that the new PC has a new "name", for the reason of keeping the old backup intact under the old name.

Friday, October 17, 2008 12:52 AM
  • Let us know how it goes after doing the new backup. Note that even with the same PC name, it would have started a new backup.

-steve

Friday, October 17, 2008 5:05 PM
  • Steve-

Had to leave it for a while... will try more later.

Also, I may have mucked things up from another angle... I looked at the Backup Drive directly (explorer) to try to find the files I wanted. 

- One of my concerns is not restoring files that might be infected with virus or malware.

- Second concern is "where" the files will be restored to... i.e. what directory. 

- It seems like they automatically go to the default folders for photos, music, etc...  I cannot seem to specify location.

I was hoping to put them into one folder on the desktop that I could delete quickly and thoroughly if the system did not pass the "virus" test.

As I explored the backup drive, I got messages that I did not have permissions, but could "take ownership"...

As I am the Admin on all the computers and OneCare... that seemed strange. I took ownership with my same admin credentials... but maybe that mucked things up. 

As I dug into the backup directory tree it got deeper and scarier... so I backed out.

Maybe I can go back to that route....  find the right folder in there, grab the pictuers, and be done with it.

Is there some easy way to find that folder?

Rob

Monday, October 20, 2008 1:16 PM
  • You didn't muck things up by taking ownership of the backup files.

No, you can't specify where to restore the files to, they will always restore to the same folders unless the destination already contains the files being restored, in which case it places the restored files in a folder at the root of C: in my recollection.

There's no easy way to manually locate the files within the zipped backups, but you can't hurt anything by going through them. If you delete any files from within the zips, it may impact the ability to use the OneCare restore, though.

-steve

Monday, October 20, 2008 5:17 PM