Different backup settings? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I am very pleased with the backup feature of the WHS. It backups 200 gb of video to only 150 gb. The thing i miss is backup settings like only taking backup of one folder (like documents) and sending it to a shared folder on the network, instead of a encrypted file which i have to open with the restore cd. Is this possible? I cant find more settings for backup other than setting a backup time from for example 06:00 to 12:00 and which discs to backup. Maybe creating different backup settings for media, windows itself and such. Possible? 

Sorry if this has been posted earlier.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 3:35 PM

Answers

• If you really only wanted to backup a single folder, you could set it to exclude everything except that folder (I do not recommend this).  Windows Home Server has a lot of thought put behind drive extender to allow you to backup your entire computer.  I'd still recommend doing that.

You can access your entire backup through the console, you don't have to use the restore CD.  Just right click the computer then select view backup.  From there you can click open after choosing the backup you'd like to see.  This will give you a windows explorer view of what was backed up.  You can then pull what ever file you wish by drag and dropping it onto your desktop.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 6:32 PM

All replies

• If you really only wanted to backup a single folder, you could set it to exclude everything except that folder (I do not recommend this).  Windows Home Server has a lot of thought put behind drive extender to allow you to backup your entire computer.  I'd still recommend doing that.

You can access your entire backup through the console, you don't have to use the restore CD.  Just right click the computer then select view backup.  From there you can click open after choosing the backup you'd like to see.  This will give you a windows explorer view of what was backed up.  You can then pull what ever file you wish by drag and dropping it onto your desktop.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 6:32 PM
  • Ok, nice.. I also think it is best to backup the whole computer, but often it is better to take a backup of all media(movies, pictures etc.) every sunday, all other files 3-4 times a week and documents every day at 9pm (when you are finished with all homework that took hours). This should be a feature. To take backup of 200gb of media once a day because you want backup of your 250mb documents is extra work for the server. Would certainly be a nice feature to implement.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 6:18 AM
  • WHS doesn't really use a traditional backup strategy. Rather than full, differential, incremental and various ad hoc backups, WHS wants a full backup every time. Using Single Instance Storage, it examines the computer being backed up and compares each cluster on that computer with clusters already backed up. It only sends clusters that aren't already in it's backup archive. This is done across all computers on your network.

The result is dramatic reductions in the storage used for every backup after the first backup to WHS, and in the time a backup takes. As a point of reference, I have three machines on my network which have been joined to WHS for a month. Between them, they have over 300 GB of backed up data, mostly on one machine. The total backup archive is currently less than 250 GB. I expect it to grow to around 275 GB over the next couple of months, then settle down at that point. Using a traditional backup strategy would result in storage requirements several times that. As for time, backups typically run in under 1/2 hour.

So go ahead and do full backups every night. It's faster than traditional backups, and takes up less space.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 12:01 PM
  • When i think about it, youre absolutely right :)

Anyways. I purchased a server that uses 60w so that my parents could sleep silently ( my 600w of computer warms up the room and starts spinning the fans up, making a lot of noise. And it gets really hot). If i set my computer to "wake up" 5 minutes before backup time, will it be backed up when my computer isnt logged in? And then the pc turns off making it a quiet night. Is there any implemented features for this in vista ultimate, or should i just install an extra program to do this?

Maybe this should be an new thread anyways

Friday, March 16, 2007 2:28 PM