none
TFS 2017 on-site Labeling question - am I understanding the process correctly? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using TFS for quite a few years now so I'm pretty certain that I know what's going on, but we had an issue lately that has me wondering if I perhaps I didn't understand one part.

We work on our code-base continually checking in new changes that will go into the next release. We don't branch because of the nature/structure of our codebase. (It's a mess that was set up long before I got here. We have about 25 "projects" off of the root level and about 10 products that all use parts of each project, so creating a branch would mean creating a branch off of each project at exactly the same time. I know - it's nuts)!

So instead of branching when we have an official release I just look at the build date/time of that release and retroactively create a label using Date to create the pointer. So theoretically I could kick off a build at any point in the future that would build the exact code that went into that build at some prior date.

The problem is that that just didn't work. I kicked off a build using a prior label (I specified "LSome Prior Build's Label" in the Source Version box) and some code checked in after that label seemed to be included in the build. How can that be? Do I not understand the way that retroactive labels work? When you create a label using date/time it should point to the code at that precise date/time - correct?

Monday, June 17, 2019 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hi BenG64,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, this question is more related to TFS, Since this forum is discussing about Msbuild, we suggest you could open a new thread on stack overflow and developer community with TFS tag. More community members on that forum may further look at your issue and provide more suggestions.

Thank you for understanding.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 6:22 AM