Problems with synctoy 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there. I recently had to move all my files between hard drives (i have around 400GB worth) and after spending a day copying over from one hard drive to the other i then wanted to run a check. i used to use synctoy without a problem before doing this and i always used synchronise. This time i set up my synctoy pairs and ran the previews as i used to do, only to be told that if using sychronise that all the files had to be copied again (that's 80,000 files). And the reason being that the file from the source path is an hour more up to date than the target one...(ie. Source = 12.49.04pm and the Target = 11.49.04pm). It basically wants to overwrite everything. If i echo then it does the same thing. This is for my documents. if i do this for my photos synchronise wants to copy everything one way and then back the other. Echo wants to copy everything over again.
    Essentially all the files are the same except for this hour differenec and i don't understand why that is the case. i only copied them over last weekend?
    Do you have any advice as to what i can do, as at the minute to back up any files or run a check on the drives means that i have to copy 80,000 files + first...and all because of the time difference on the file on drive C to the one on drive F?
    I look forward to hearing from you (my email is cmp@charliepinder.co.uk).
    Charlie
    Friday, April 17, 2009 4:24 PM

All replies

• Same problem for me.  The solution is to let SyncToy analyse the files without taking the date in consideration, but this takes a lot of time ...
    Hope MS comes with a solution to this problem as I was very happy with Synctoy 1.4

Friday, April 17, 2009 7:35 PM
  • If you files were backuped by SyncToy, it wouldn't treat those as new changes. However, those were coped over outside of SyncToy and the "last modified time"  of the files are different now. So SyncToy would check the time on the files and decide that it needs to synchronize changes over. it looks like this is expected behavior.

Thanks,
    Ann Tang
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:04 PM
  • If you files were backuped by SyncToy, it wouldn't treat those as new changes. However, those were coped over outside of SyncToy and the "last modified time"  of the files are different now. So SyncToy would check the time on the files and decide that it needs to synchronize changes over. it looks like this is expected behavior.

Thanks,
    Ann Tang

I am trying to sync a small USB drive and SyncToy doesn't seem to correctly calculate the date/time, and these are two files I just copied between the two devices. The one on the source shows it as 4 hours out of whack to the time I saved it to the source drive .

I would hope that is not "expected behavior".

SE
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:27 PM