Money 2000 on WIN 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to install my original MS Money 2000 disc onto my brand spanking new WIN 8.1 machine (which I am luuuving) the install runs well up until about 67% complete.  Then everything grinds to a halt eventually coughing up an error that it cannot "decompress" the "compressed" file at D:\MONEY|MONEY.CAB?  It says that file may be corrupted.  I did a search and found the file in question.  However it would not open using Explorer which was the application it was associated with?

I would appreciate advice on solving this.  I really would like to continue using my MS Money product.  Is there a way to acquire an uncorrupted MONEY.CAB file and replace the one on my machine that it doesn't like.  Anyone think that will fix the problem?

I did try to load the MS Money Sunset software but that wouldn't work either.  It said something about working with MS Money 2009 and that my MS Money 2000 .MNY file wasn't compatible?

Hopefully this is fixable.  If I am missing something simple please let me know.

Thanks

BigMike3

• Edited by BigMike3 Saturday, August 30, 2014 4:56 AM New information
    Saturday, August 30, 2014 4:21 AM

All replies

• Assuming you are in the US, see the second post in this forum and use Money 2005 US as an intermediate file conversion step.

Uninstall Sunset, install Money 2005 US and convert your Money 2000 file then install Sunset and let it convert the Money 2005 format data file.

Saturday, August 30, 2014 7:34 AM
  • If you are feeling adventuresome and  you want to experiment to try to install Money 2000 onto Windows 8.1, you might try these:

1. Create a folder and copy your entire CD contents to that folder. Run Setup or Install from that folder by right-clicking and choosing RunAsAdministrator. Maybe that does it. More likely not, and in that case try step 2

2. The folder from step 1 may contain a .cab file. In Windows Explorer, double-click that file. I am expecting that you will see the files in the cabinet. Select those files, right-click, and choose Extract. For the destination, I don't know if the same folder or a different folder would be better.

Now where do you go from there? I don't know. I hope there is some executable such as setup.exe or install.exe that will be obvious enough.

Installing Sunset may be the only choice that works for you. Please let us know what you find out.

Saturday, August 30, 2014 3:23 PM
  • Thanks Dominic,

I did download 2005 version and try to convert my file with that but couldn't get past needing a "passport".  So I couldn't get it to work to convert my file.

Thanks to you Cal also.  I tried your suggestions too.  Couldn't get anything working that way either.

I appreciate the time and effort from both of you to try and help me.  However, I've been working on this now for two days.  I'm giving up and loading a copy of Quicken I got when I bought Turbo Tax last year and try to make the conversion to using Quicken.  That wasn't my first choice but guess I will have to bite the bullet at some point.

Thanks Again

Mike

Sunday, August 31, 2014 12:30 AM
  • A Microsoft Passport was the predecessor to a Windows Live ID. It cannot now be changed because the Passport server no longer exists. If you do not remember its details you will not be able to access your data on a new installation of Money.

If you still have your old machine you can use the qif export method to transfer your data to a fresh installation of Sunset. Tedious but your only option.

Sunday, August 31, 2014 6:08 AM
  • Thanks Dominic,

I wanted to try that but mama decided I had fooled around with this long enough so we just started over and loaded up Quicken.  A shame really but less painfull in the long run probably.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Sunday, August 31, 2014 7:04 AM
  • You could do QIF export from Money 2000 into Quicken. I don't know the Quicken import process, but it has one.
    Sunday, August 31, 2014 12:28 PM