strange behavior in customizations export - import RRS feed

• General discussion

• Today i observed a strange behavior after exporting and importing ALL customizations from one organization to a newly created organization. In my source organization i have some custom entities that have typecodes like 10001, 10003, 10004, 10005 etc. Note: 10002 is not there in source. I made sure that same language packs are enabled on both organization,  i.e, other than the base language. I imported customizations on targent and published all. Everything went as expected i.e, no errors in import process neither any in publish. Now when i looked into metadata on target organization, i find the same custom entities but with typyecodes 10001, 10002, 10003, 10004. So import process re-arranged the entitytypecode(s) while importing custom entities. This could give me problems at many places if i expect a piece of code (no matter javascript or serverside C# etc) to work with an entitytypecode

For a moment i tried to figure out a reason. I could only imagine that at some point in time i had an entity with typecode 10002 in source organization that i deleted, so the rest of the entities still kept the same typecodes. But still whether i delete an entity or create more in a source organization, customizations import process MUST use the typecodes received in the customizations xml file.

I wish to know if anybody ever experienced this kind of a scenario???

Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:53 PM

All replies

• This is standard behaviour. New entities/imported entities will be given an incremental number from 10000 and up. Whenever possible you should use the type name in your code and not the typecode, otherwise you should retreive the typecode name from meta data webservice using the typecode if the code is all you have.
    MSCRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Thats understandable, so if you would have two different source organizations and need to be merged into another organization, then you would definitely need the typecode to in incremental fashion. This would avoid breaking the customizations import process if two source organizations have a same typcode being used for two different entities.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:03 PM
  • Exactly
    MSCRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:23 PM