SyncToy 2.0 showing wrong time by 4 hrs on half my files, calling for huge unnecessary overwrite. RRS feed

• Question

• SyncToy 2.0 is showing one of my drives' file times off by exactly 4 hours.  I live in US Eastern time.  The SyncToy thinks that my WD My Passport drive is inexplicably out somewhere in the Azores.  Not good. I see that others are having this problem as well.  Not good to create a sync program which can't see that two files whose time stamps match exactly to the minute and second and are otherwise identical in data, are in fact the same despite an apparent four-hour difference. 

I have not used SyncToy before in any previous version.  This computer (running XP) and all of its hardware was purchased in August of 2009.  Fortunately I had made "test" copies of both files I was going to synchronize (one on C drive of netbook, one on WD My Passport 500G external drive) and saw in preview mode that it was calling Passport file time stamps exactly four hours later than identical files on C drive.

If SyncToy 2.0 is having issues with the format Western Digital is using for its drives, that looks like something which should be corrected in SyncToy.  Users shouldn't have to reformat brand new 500G+ drives to get this program to recognize times properly.  Especially of concern to me is that the entire premise of SyncToy rests on being able to properly identify which files are more recent, and which are not. 

Looked for but did not find some option in the program to recognize time zone differences.  I did not go ahead with the synchronization because of the faulty times.  I am going to uninstall SyncToy and look for another sync program, but I'll check back in hopes that SyncToy will fix this error.  It looks like it would be a good program if it would work properly.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:07 PM

Answers

• Hi -

I am guessing your Western Digital drive is using FAT - we know that we have issues with FAT<->NTS synchronization and will fix this in our next release. Look out for our next release and of course if you want to use SyncToy in the meantime, reformatting your 500G disk to NTFS will fix your problem.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:08 PM