WHS v1 to WHS v2 - transitioning the disks RRS feed

• Question

• If I have backups and media files etc on a mixed-disk WHS1 system, with the WHS OS on a different physical disk, can I just create a new WHS2 bootable system on a new physical disk and then add the data disks?

I'll probably use a different PC (CPU, MB, etc) for this transition.

Assume WHS2 is the release version.

Friday, October 1, 2010 8:03 AM

All replies

• You won't be able to preserve the data currently on the disks; like V1 Vail will format the disks when you add them to server storage.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Friday, October 1, 2010 12:47 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by gxdata Tuesday, October 5, 2010 2:05 AM
    Friday, October 1, 2010 12:47 PM
  • OK, I might expect that - since the file system for WHS1 and WHS2 is different (true?) - but I thought I had seen some posts elsewhere about creating a new WHS2 boot system then attaching the storage (disks) that had been in use with a previous WHS2 system, and those volumes attached successfully (ie, without the OS insisting on formatting the disks). Is that right?

In terms of my original question, my solution would then be to use a reliable disk copy and verification utility like Robocopy / Hobo Copy / XXCopy / TerraCopy / SyncBack? And, to do that across the fastest possible connection between separate WHS1 and WHS2 systems?

It seems potentially very messy.

• Edited by gxdata Sunday, October 3, 2010 6:37 AM clarification
    Sunday, October 3, 2010 6:33 AM