How to search this forum RRS feed

• Question

• How do I search this forum to see if anyone else is experiencing problems with Win7 clients?

Thank you.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:08 PM

All replies

• If you look just above the "Announcements" header, you will see a search box. You can type your search term there. Alongside the search box, you will see a small downward pointing arrowhead. If you click that, you will find you can limit the search to a single forum (the one you're currently in), all Windows Home Server forums, or you can search all Microsoft forums.

Seems pretty simple (and obvious) to me.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 11:30 PM
  • It may seem simple and obvious to you but when things don't work, one has to ask. 

To begin with, I don't have any thing that could be called an "Announcements banner".   What I do have, is a search box at the top of the message listing that says "Search Windows Home Server Software Forum".   This morning, I tried using that box by overtyping with my search term -- Win 7-- I got a screen with headers and not one hit...not one.   Hence my query.   It's returning a message list now but nothing later than 2010.

Athena

Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:42 AM
  • Athena,

I just typed Win 7 into the search box and got 43,900 hits.  Perhaps you need to refine your search term to something more specific.

Example:  Win 7 cannot access shared folders on whs 2011.

This narrows the search results to 10 hits.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : To begin with, I don't have any thing that could be called an "Announcements banner". What I do have, is a search box at the top of the message listing that says "Search Windows Home Server Software Forum". This morning, I tried using that box by overtyping with my search term -- Win 7--  I got a screen with headers and not one hit...not one. Hence my query. It's returning a message list now but nothing later than 2010.
    :
    : Athena
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

BullDawg
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:03 AM
  • 1.  I did mention that I got no hits this morning but things were different this afternoon.

2.  Why is searching in these forums so much work for the user?  Why can't I just type Win7 and see the most recent messages pertaining to that first?   I know how to narrow a search but why do I have to do that just to see if there are some common Win7 issues going on right now? 

Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:37 AM
  • Please remember this forum is for WHS software.  Perhaps you should post your question at
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/suggest/threads/ which is the appropriate forum for feedback and suggestions.  Your item number 2 will be more appropriate for that forum.  If you feel your issue is more of bug instead of feedback or suggestion, then I would post in this forum  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/reportabug/threads/.

The forums FAQ also offers some excellent pointers. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7359.forums-help-faq-en-us.aspx

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : 2. Why is searching in these forums so much work for the user? Why can't I just type Win7 and see the most recent messages pertaining to that first? I know how to narrow a search but why do I have to do that just to see if there are some common Win7 issues going on right now?
    :

BullDawg
    • Edited by BullDawg Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:44 AM
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 5:19 AM