Any cure for "semaphore timeout period has expired" causing backup failure? RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Vista Ultimate, 32 bit.  Suddenly backups have stopped working on this main workstation.  A manual backup starts normally and shows progress bar while getting the cluster differences.  I have reinstalled the Home Server client and still get the same error.

P.S.  I would like to post in a relevant forum, but the Post Options truncate the entries in the list to near unreadability.  I hope this shows up in a good place, or y'all are very understanding of this problem with the forums.

Here is the message in the event log:

Backup of volume C: to HOMESERV0 failed: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070079): The semaphore timeout period has expired. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070079)

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.Win32.ThrowLastError()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.VolumeBuffer.EndRead()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.ClusterBitMapReader.Next()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass1()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()

Saturday, October 4, 2008 2:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Walter,
    please try to run chkdsk /f / r on each of the harddisks in your workstation PC.
    This may take a while, but often solves such issues.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 2:46 PM
  • Walter Lounsbery said:

I am running Vista Ultimate, 32 bit.  Suddenly backups have stopped working on this main workstation.  A manual backup starts normally and shows progress bar while getting the cluster differences.  I have reinstalled the Home Server client and still get the same error.

P.S.  I would like to post in a relevant forum, but the Post Options truncate the entries in the list to near unreadability.  I hope this shows up in a good place, or y'all are very understanding of this problem with the forums.

<snip>

Is this an HP MediaSmart Server or a home built machine? This error is indicative or a hardware problem with the server. Please run chkdsk as Olaf suggested.  

This message indicates that a hard disk controller driver is waiting for an overlapped read/write operation to complete. Usually due to problems with a faulty hard disk controller driver or possible hard disk drive hardware problems Ensure that you are using the proper driver for your hard disk controller that was certified to work with Windows Server 2003.  If the problem persists, replace the hard disk controller with a supported make/model.

The event log should indicate I/O errors. Since this is related to hardware, this is no fix pending in the code. If this is an HP MediaSmart Server and chkdsk/replacing the HDD does not resolve the issue, please contact HP.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 5:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Walter,
    please try to run chkdsk /f / r on each of the harddisks in your workstation PC.
    This may take a while, but often solves such issues.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 2:46 PM
  • Walter Lounsbery said:

I am running Vista Ultimate, 32 bit.  Suddenly backups have stopped working on this main workstation.  A manual backup starts normally and shows progress bar while getting the cluster differences.  I have reinstalled the Home Server client and still get the same error.

<snip>

Is this an HP MediaSmart Server or a home built machine? This error is indicative or a hardware problem with the server. Please run chkdsk as Olaf suggested.  

This message indicates that a hard disk controller driver is waiting for an overlapped read/write operation to complete. Usually due to problems with a faulty hard disk controller driver or possible hard disk drive hardware problems Ensure that you are using the proper driver for your hard disk controller that was certified to work with Windows Server 2003.  If the problem persists, replace the hard disk controller with a supported make/model.

The event log should indicate I/O errors. Since this is related to hardware, this is no fix pending in the code. If this is an HP MediaSmart Server and chkdsk/replacing the HDD does not resolve the issue, please contact HP.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 5:04 PM