Hosted CRM email router RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm new to this forum and not from a technical background but any help appreciated. I'm trying to set up a Hosted CRM email router product but want to limit the potential for blacklisting the entire platform if a customer chooses to send out large volumes of email that get tagged as spam etc. Our technical team are telling me that this isn't possible and Microsoft say they are unware of this issue.

Has anyone been involved in setting this up in a Hosted environment and how did they manage to do this. We have the whole suite of Microsoft products so this could be achieved through Hosted Exchange but still led to believe that there is no way to limit the risk of outbound bulk email!!!

Is there any way round this or do I just have to accept the risk?

Iain

Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:59 PM

Answers

• I'm not certain if this will help, but it might be worth trying:

If you go to the directory where the email router is installed, there's a folder called "Service". In this folder is a configuration XML file called "Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailAgent.xml".

If you open this file you'll see the inbound and outbound profiles. If you can locate the outbound profile(s) that you have configured, there's a "MaxMessageCount" element that is set to 1000 by default:

<MaxMessageCount>1000</MaxMessageCount>

You might try reducing this number to 250 to throttle the number of emails that the router will send out in a polling period, which might mitigate the risk of being blacklisted. Make sure you're only changing the outbound profile (search for the word outbound in the xml to locate the right profile). This won't stop emails from being sent out, it will just break them up into smaller batches. Again, I haven't tried this, but it might be helpful to you.

Matt Wittemann, MVP for CRM (http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com)
    Friday, July 30, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Hi Iain,

The proper method to mitigate against being blacklisted would be in your outbound smtp server settings.  Most enterprise smtp servers\appliances have the ability having unique queues based on ip address of from email addresses, etc. 

The email router can also be configured to have different outbound profiles.  So for example, for small clients, have the email router send to an outbound ip address where you throttle and set a limit.  For med or large clients, you could send to a different ip with a higher limit. 

Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Friday, July 30, 2010 2:53 PM

All replies

• I'm not certain if this will help, but it might be worth trying:

If you go to the directory where the email router is installed, there's a folder called "Service". In this folder is a configuration XML file called "Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailAgent.xml".

If you open this file you'll see the inbound and outbound profiles. If you can locate the outbound profile(s) that you have configured, there's a "MaxMessageCount" element that is set to 1000 by default:

<MaxMessageCount>1000</MaxMessageCount>

You might try reducing this number to 250 to throttle the number of emails that the router will send out in a polling period, which might mitigate the risk of being blacklisted. Make sure you're only changing the outbound profile (search for the word outbound in the xml to locate the right profile). This won't stop emails from being sent out, it will just break them up into smaller batches. Again, I haven't tried this, but it might be helpful to you.

Matt Wittemann, MVP for CRM (http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com)
    Friday, July 30, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Hi Iain,

The proper method to mitigate against being blacklisted would be in your outbound smtp server settings.  Most enterprise smtp servers\appliances have the ability having unique queues based on ip address of from email addresses, etc. 

The email router can also be configured to have different outbound profiles.  So for example, for small clients, have the email router send to an outbound ip address where you throttle and set a limit.  For med or large clients, you could send to a different ip with a higher limit. 

Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Friday, July 30, 2010 2:53 PM