Set up RRS feed

• Question

• How can I set up Windows Home Server to prevent data loss in the event of drive and/or server failure?
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:25 PM

Answers

• It isn't possible to prevent data loss entirely, no matter what you do. A multi-layered strategy will go a long way, though. Start by reading up on Windows Home Server on the Microsoft web site, particularly the documentation available through the Help link on the right side of that page. This will help to familiarize you with both the capabilities of Windows Home Server and the limitations.

Then in my opinion best practice would be to keep files you're actively working on on your local PCs where they will be backed up to your server nightly, but files that you only reference (including media files) on your server, with share duplication turned on. Take regular backups of your shares using the features built into your server, so you can take those backups off site to a safe alternate location. Be cautious in the installation of additional software on your server; while it's great to have this or that cool feature available, your server will quickly become a mission critical piece of home equipment, and you will definitely wind up in the doghouse if you manage to crash the server with something not designed for use on your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:56 PM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:37 PM