Running Windows XP natively and within VmWare at the same time (with two licences) RRS feed

• Question

• Very similar to :

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/e7a0798d-2fbb-414b-addc-e51ed803f951/

but I have two Licences.

Hi,
    I am trying to run the same Windows installation natively on my laptop and within VmWare running in Linux.

I have setup two hardware profiles in Windows, one for the real hardware (called Hardware) and one for the VmWare emulated hardware (called Virtual).

Everything works fine except that each time I boot with a different hardware profile, Windows complains about activation.

Do you have any suggestions on how to properly activate both profiles?

I do not believe I am violating the EULA since I am performed one, single installation and I am running Windows on one, single machine (using a software layer when running it inside VmWare).

i have two windows licences so there is no legal issue - just technical - is this possible?

Monday, June 6, 2011 7:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can only install and activate one (1) Windows XP license on just one (1) computer (a VM is considered a "new computer").  Therefore, you would need a second Windows XP license for the virtual computer.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by BigDaveGeek Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:02 AM
    Monday, June 6, 2011 11:10 PM
  • Hello Sir-Nails,

Unfortunately it is impossible to bypass this activation procedure.  Windows ties the license to the hardware profile to prevent you from "cloning" the disk and using the same Windows license on another PC.

However, I believe that this does not apply to VL licenses.  If you have more than 5 licenses you may consider getting a VL.

Regards,

Andrew

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by BigDaveGeek Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:47 PM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:40 AM
  • "Sir-Nails" wrote in message news:629ca58a-1788-4482-8055-53c710ba78e0...

Very similar to :

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/e7a0798d-2fbb-414b-addc-e51ed803f951/

but I have two Licences.

Hi,
    I am trying to run the same Windows installation natively on my laptop and within VmWare running in Linux.

I have setup two hardware profiles in Windows, one for the real hardware (called Hardware) and one for the VmWare emulated hardware (called Virtual).

Everything works fine except that each time I boot with a different hardware profile, Windows complains about activation.

Do you have any suggestions on how to properly activate both profiles?

I do not believe I am violating the EULA since I am performed one, single installation and I am running Windows on one, single machine (using a software layer when running it inside VmWare).

i have two windows licences so there is no legal issue - just technical - is this possible?

I don't believe what you are trying to do is possible.
    As I understand it, you are attempting to use the same installation of Windows in bare-metal, and VM contexts?
    If so, then that cannot work, as a License Key is used for all profiles within an installation - not just in a single profile.
    You will need to create a separate installation for your VM, which is activated with its own Key

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 12:38 PM
  • You can only install and activate one (1) Windows XP license on just one (1) computer (a VM is considered a "new computer").  Therefore, you would need a second Windows XP license for the virtual computer.
    Carey Frisch
    I have a second license for the virtual computer. read the question.
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by BigDaveGeek Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:47 PM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:06 AM
  • Hello Sir-Nails,

Unfortunately it is impossible to bypass this activation procedure.  Windows ties the license to the hardware profile to prevent you from "cloning" the disk and using the same Windows license on another PC.

However, I believe that this does not apply to VL licenses.  If you have more than 5 licenses you may consider getting a VL.

Regards,

Andrew

I was unaware of a VL (Validated License?) where can i get one from / how?
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:17 AM
  • VL (Volume License) editions of Windows XP Professional have been phased out and are no longer available.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:55 AM