none
2 drives setup RRS feed

• Question

• Arrangement hardware for my next whs will have 2 hard disks (both 500 GB).
    Will that a good or bad configuration setup?

Thanks.
    Kris W.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 3:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, it a good setup, as WHS can be installed on only one hard drive (minmum recommended), 80gb or bigger.

So with 2 hard dirves planed with 500gb each, it simply fine.

My best.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 3:13 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, you can add any times either internal or external drives when need it, whs will support that.

Here TOPIC that have good info.

My best.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 3:43 AM
  • Yes, WHS supports eSATA, and external drives. You should be able to add as many drives as you want, but there may be a performance bottleneck when you have drives of different types, speeds, etc.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 4:43 AM
  • You'll also experience a performance problem with USB drives, if you have more than a single drive connected to a USB root hub. Each root hub has a certain amount of bandwidth, which is shared among all the connected devices. Motherboards these days typically have a controller for each USB connector, so as long as you plug drives in directly, rather than through an external hub, you're okay.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 12:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, it a good setup, as WHS can be installed on only one hard drive (minmum recommended), 80gb or bigger.

So with 2 hard dirves planed with 500gb each, it simply fine.

My best.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 3:13 AM
  • Thanks.

If I see the need to add later on external eSATA and USB drives will whs support that?

Thanks.
    Kris W.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 3:29 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, you can add any times either internal or external drives when need it, whs will support that.

Here TOPIC that have good info.

My best.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 3:43 AM
  • Yes, WHS supports eSATA, and external drives. You should be able to add as many drives as you want, but there may be a performance bottleneck when you have drives of different types, speeds, etc.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 4:43 AM
  • You'll also experience a performance problem with USB drives, if you have more than a single drive connected to a USB root hub. Each root hub has a certain amount of bandwidth, which is shared among all the connected devices. Motherboards these days typically have a controller for each USB connector, so as long as you plug drives in directly, rather than through an external hub, you're okay.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 12:43 PM
  • Hi,

Yes as Ken and Tom said regarding the usb, for that the esata will be better choice these days over the usb.

Motherboards with esata connection ports will come handy and better choice when looking to build your whs.

My best.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 3:48 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    You'll also experience a performance problem with USB drives, if you have more than a single drive connected to a USB root hub. Each root hub has a certain amount of bandwidth, which is shared among all the connected devices. Motherboards these days typically have a controller for each USB connector, so as long as you plug drives in directly, rather than through an external hub, you're okay.

Hey there Ken,

Thanks for your's (and other people's) reply to Kris.

Taking this one step further, I understand & appreciate the penalty hit of having more than 1 USB drive per controller.  Due to the fact that the PC I'm thinking of using has no external SATA conectors, and no provisions inside or on the case to install a connector, I'm limited to using USB externally.  I'm considering a 2, 4, or 6 bay SATA enclosure.  Each SATA drive has it's own SATA connector on the back of the case, but only 1 USB connector for every 2 drives.  Example: a 2-bay enclosure would have 2 SATA connectors but only 1 shared USB connector; a 4-bay enclosure would have 4 SATA connectors but only 2 shared USB connectors; etc.  So they way I understand it, it would be as if the external enclosures are (internally) using the hub scenario that you spoke about.  Bummer .... not good.  Am I correct in assuming that my bandwidth would be cut in half - is that the penalty hit - 1/2 the speed?

I've had WHS (OEM) up & running for a couple of months now, without any problem, on a home-built box, albeit slightly overkill .... Core2Due, 4-GB of RAM, etc.  Problem is, it's damned noisy with all the fans going in the case .  The case is large, too.  Was considering getting one of those Slim Form Factor PCs (another C2D), transfering my current 1-TB system drive to the new slim PC, and transfering my 2 500-GB drives to an external case.  Hence my question.  I guess buying a 4-bay enclosure and only using bays 1 & 3 (or 2 & 4) would also work out, as they would each have their own USB connector.

Anyway, just wondering how much of a performance hit Iwould be taking, sharing a USB port.  If it's not that much, no big deal, as most of the time & for most users, their WHS box is chugging away in the background anyway.

Thanks in advance for your's (or anyone else's) thoughts, and have a great day.

John

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:36 PM
  • Can you install an add-in PCI eSATA card? If you pick the right one, you can use a port multiplier enclosure to hold several drives and connect them with a single eSATA cable.

I really wouldn't recommend multiple drives on a single USB root hub. Performance with one drive is already not great (rarely more than 20-25 MBps). You'll get less than half that performance out of a root hub with two drives, and it only goes downhill from there.
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:07 PM