HP EX475 vs iPhone RRS feed

• Question

• I'm thinking about the use of WHS in my home and it reminds me of when I was thinking about purchasing the iPhone. The technology is new, cool, and full of widgets. However, I didn't buy the iPhone. In the end my decision was to wait for the second version of the product.

I'm leaning towards the same decision for WHS. Some files getting corrupted, only one choice for virus protection on the server (I think this is true), hardware options very limited. It seems like a fairly sizable risk to trust all my data to this potentially bleeding-edge technology.

I've heard some people complain about the processor and RAM config on the EX475. I've also heard that by using a larger processor the machine becomes less 'green'. It seems like with WHS' first release there was one vision of what services may run on the server, but now with additional services available maybe a more powerful processor is necessary? The same holds true for RAM.

My question for everyone is: Do you think it would be worth it to wait for the next release of WHS hardware? Am I better to build my own machine and install WHS on it? Is it possible to optimize a desktop to run 'green' with WHS installed?

Essentially, this machine will be on 24/7. Is it the job of the O/S, BIOS, or drive to 'spin-down' when the drive is not in use?

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 1:37 PM

All replies

• Hey there-

Sure, you are always "better" off in the end to wait for the next version.  However, I am a former Microsoft employee for 7 years and I can tell you that in the 7 years (2000-2007) there is no other product as innovative and well put together than this one.  This is hands-down worth the money and I am pretty certain that over the course of N+1 editions they will somehow make migration stories somewhat solid. 

Buy now, ask questions later... Best $1000 bucks I spent (WHS EX475 + 3 additional drives)

-Chris
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 3:06 AM