WHS 2011 Drivers / Intel gigabit card RRS feed

• Question

• PLEASE BE GENTLE AND TYPE SLOWLY :D

I have a Dell e310 

After the initial CF of getting the clients to connect to the server (don't change the workgroup name!) everything has been smooth.  The server backs up the clients, hosts video/music and just works.      Very happy with it so far.

I wanted more speed, though nothing was broken, so I got

Intel PWLA8391GT PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI 1 x RJ45 - OEM

I am having a horrible time trying to install it.  I have the server up w/monitor/kb/mouse.

Windows detected the card but could not install a driver

I used the CD but there was no option to 'install drivers'. 

I went into device manager and tried to update the driver by pointing to the CD.  Nada

Copied the whole CD to the desktop and tried to point it....nada

Downloaded driver (exe) for Windows 2008 R2 ... Ran it...the utility could not find an intel NIC device.

The NIC for the PC is a onboard intel device.

I rebooted.  Now device manager does not even see the card. I've scanned for hwd changes and it is not detected.

I also installed a firewire card (also pci) and it could not be installed.  Now it is not seen.  (no little icon with ! in it)

I don't know what to do next.  Admittedly, I am no PC expert.  I'm glad that I finally got WHS 2011 working.  SO, if you are willing to help me, you will need to talk down to me which I'm entirely ready for.

EDIT: the instructions say to insert the CD and click 'install drivers' but the only buttons are release notes and user guides.

• Edited by Chrispbass Friday, July 13, 2012 2:53 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 2:51 AM

Answers

• According to Intel's web site, the card you bought has drivers "in box" in Windows Server 2008 R2; there should be no need to install anything as "in box" means it's baked in to the Windows Server 2008 R2 install. Try reinstalling Windows Home Server, now that you have the card installed. If that doesn't work, you'll need to contact Intel tech support.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:54 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 3:18 AM
  • Are any of the diagnostics lights on the system lighting up? In particular, according to the service manual, could indicate a possible expansion card failure.

Regardless of this, I would not try adding both cards at once. Instead, start with one card, and when that is working correctly, try adding the second.

Also, you could try to move the cards into a different slot, although you don't have many options with only 2 PCI slots in your system.

Regards,

Sven

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 11:04 AM

All replies

• According to Intel's web site, the card you bought has drivers "in box" in Windows Server 2008 R2; there should be no need to install anything as "in box" means it's baked in to the Windows Server 2008 R2 install. Try reinstalling Windows Home Server, now that you have the card installed. If that doesn't work, you'll need to contact Intel tech support.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, July 13, 2012 3:18 AM
  • When the server booted up after I installed the 2 PCI cards (NIC and firewire ports) I got a quick msg that was something like

pci mem not supp

pci mem not supp

Or something like that. 

SO - How hard is it to reinstall WHS?  I know that upon install WHS partitioned the HD and installed the OS on the small portion.  If I reinstall and just point it to that small partition will it simply overwrite while leaving the gigs of data I have on the other partition? 
    Friday, July 13, 2012 1:26 PM
  • Are any of the diagnostics lights on the system lighting up? In particular, according to the service manual, could indicate a possible expansion card failure.

Regardless of this, I would not try adding both cards at once. Instead, start with one card, and when that is working correctly, try adding the second.

Also, you could try to move the cards into a different slot, although you don't have many options with only 2 PCI slots in your system.

Regards,

Sven

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 11:04 AM