none
New MCSD for VisualStudio 2012 concerns RRS feed

• Question

• I've just completed the 1st of the VS 2010 exams and am looking at doing the next two in the series (databases & WCF). After that, there would be a fourth exam to get my MCPD. These exams are a very good learning tool for me as they go hand-in-hand with my work which is desktop application development. I'm looking at doing a bit of windows phone 7 app programming for which the data and WCF knowledge will also be vital.

I've just found out that the 2010 exam track will be retired in 12 months - I may struggle to complete the next 3 exams in 12 months (if you have kids, you'll know why) so I realistically doubt I can gain my MCPD in time. Besides, what's the point in putting massive amounts of effort into gaining a depreciated certification?

Looking ahead to the 2012 MCSD track, it looks to me that there are three exams, with nothing but metro style user interface topics + associated topics such as security. There seems to me, to be some large holes in the 2012 MSCD track when compared to the 2010 MCPD track which make it much less valuable. In particular there seems to be no WCF or Entities Framework.

Both of these topics are the main reasons why I started the 2010 MCPD track in the first place. Does anyone know if there are going to be any more 2012 MCSD tracks - which have WCF and Entities Framework included or have I miss-interpreted the content in the planned 2012 MSCD exams?

thanks.

Monday, July 23, 2012 9:58 AM

Answers

• Firstly, The MCPD 2010 (.Net 4.0) certification path is not being deprecated, only the exams are being retired.  Certifications don’t expire, so this certification will still be valid.

Secondly, it’s extremely unlikely that everyone using VS 2010 is going to stop using it and upgrade to VS 2012 the day it’s released (There are still a large number of people who use 2005 and 2008) therefore VS 2010 certifications will still be valuable.

Thirdly, not all the new exams have been released for the VS 2012 (.Net 4.5) certification path.  More will get released over the coming months.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Monday, July 23, 2012 11:17 AM

All replies

• Firstly, The MCPD 2010 (.Net 4.0) certification path is not being deprecated, only the exams are being retired.  Certifications don’t expire, so this certification will still be valid.

Secondly, it’s extremely unlikely that everyone using VS 2010 is going to stop using it and upgrade to VS 2012 the day it’s released (There are still a large number of people who use 2005 and 2008) therefore VS 2010 certifications will still be valuable.

Thirdly, not all the new exams have been released for the VS 2012 (.Net 4.5) certification path.  More will get released over the coming months.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Monday, July 23, 2012 11:17 AM
  • Thirdly, not all the new exams have been released for the VS 2012 (.Net 4.5) certification path.  More will get released over the coming months.

Hi Jeff, do you have information on what .net 4.5 exams are still to be announced? Will they be more in line with the existing vs2010 MCPD application developer track? In other words, will there be a XAML/WPF/WCF/Entity Framework oriented track?

Monday, July 23, 2012 11:30 AM
  • Unfortunately I don't have any further information on what the exams will be or cover.  MS has stated that the new exams should go into beta in Summer 2012 (U.S.).

Jeff Wharton

Monday, July 23, 2012 11:35 AM
  • I have exactly the same feeling about Visual Studio 2012 MCSD path. I looked today at Microsoft's certification site and there was nothing new.

Unfortunately VS 2010 MCPD retires in June 2013 so it is probably not possible to pass all required exams. If not that I wouldn't hesitate and definitely go with fuller and richer MCDP path.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:53 PM