Server Manager 2008 error in Course Collection 6041 RRS feed

• Question

• I want to fullfill the Course Collection 6041;

but all the Virtual Labs in 6042/6043/6044 produced the same error:

when I have to start the Server Manager in Server 2008 to "Add a role" I got the error message:

"Server Manager encountered an unexpected error while collecting data about the status of this computer"

So i can't do anything with the Server Manager!

I tried to reboot the server - but I got the same error

Greetings from Germany
    Ralf B.
    Friday, April 18, 2008 11:03 AM

Answers

• Hello-

Here is the information regarding the Collection 6041:

Hello,

Thank you for reporting errors you are experiencing with virtual lab in Course Collection 6041 "Upgrading Your Windows Server 2003 MCSE Technical Skills to Windows Server 2008 (Beta)", which includes the following courses:

Course 6042: Installing and Managing Windows Server 2008 (Beta)
    Course 6043: Implementing Active Directory Domain Services in Windows Server 2008 (Beta)
    Course 6044: Implementing Active Directory Identities and Access in Windows Server 2008 (Beta)
    Course 6045: Managing Internet Information Services 7.0 and Windows Media Server in Windows Server 2008 (Beta)
    Course 6046: Implementing Network Infrastructure Services in Windows Server 2008 (Beta)
    Course 6047: Implementing Network Access Protection in Windows Server 2008 (Beta)
    Course 6048: Implementing Terminal Services in Windows Server 2008 (Beta)
    Course 6049: Implementing a Storage Infrastructure in Windows Server 2008 (Beta)
    Course 6050: Implementing Security in Windows Server 2008 (Beta)
    Course 6051: Implementing High Availability and Virtualization in Windows Server 2008 (Beta)

The virtual labs for these courses were built on pre-release (beta) version of Windows Server 2008. The errors are caused by the expiration of certain Server components specific to Windows Sever 2008 beta version.

To resolve this issue, we are releasing new Windows Server 2008 courses and virtual labs that are based on the final release version of Windows Server 2008, which will replace these Beta-based courses. These new replacement courses will become available beginning in late April, 2008, and will be free to you at no additional charge, as stated on the product page:

“ This content is based upon a pre-released version of Windows. Purchasers of this content will automatically receive updated content based upon the final release of Windows Server 2008 when it becomes available, at no additional charge.”
    https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/offerDetail.aspx?offerPriceId=137948

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused and appreciate your patience.
    Program Manager, Sustained Engineering Team
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 5:26 PM

All replies

• I also experience problems with the labs: when opening Server Manager | Roles, while refreshing the display, I receive an error: 'A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program.' Also, in the bottom of this window: 'Refresh Status: Refresh is disalbed until computer has been restarted.'

Restarting does not help! I reported these error last month with 6041 and 6042.

When will this be solved?

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:57 PM
  • Hello-

Here is the information regarding the Collection 6041:

Hello,

Thank you for reporting errors you are experiencing with virtual lab in Course Collection 6041 "Upgrading Your Windows Server 2003 MCSE Technical Skills to Windows Server 2008 (Beta)", which includes the following courses:

Course 6042: Installing and Managing Windows Server 2008 (Beta)
    Course 6043: Implementing Active Directory Domain Services in Windows Server 2008 (Beta)
    Course 6044: Implementing Active Directory Identities and Access in Windows Server 2008 (Beta)
    Course 6045: Managing Internet Information Services 7.0 and Windows Media Server in Windows Server 2008 (Beta)
    Course 6046: Implementing Network Infrastructure Services in Windows Server 2008 (Beta)
    Course 6047: Implementing Network Access Protection in Windows Server 2008 (Beta)
    Course 6048: Implementing Terminal Services in Windows Server 2008 (Beta)
    Course 6049: Implementing a Storage Infrastructure in Windows Server 2008 (Beta)
    Course 6050: Implementing Security in Windows Server 2008 (Beta)
    Course 6051: Implementing High Availability and Virtualization in Windows Server 2008 (Beta)

The virtual labs for these courses were built on pre-release (beta) version of Windows Server 2008. The errors are caused by the expiration of certain Server components specific to Windows Sever 2008 beta version.

To resolve this issue, we are releasing new Windows Server 2008 courses and virtual labs that are based on the final release version of Windows Server 2008, which will replace these Beta-based courses. These new replacement courses will become available beginning in late April, 2008, and will be free to you at no additional charge, as stated on the product page:

“ This content is based upon a pre-released version of Windows. Purchasers of this content will automatically receive updated content based upon the final release of Windows Server 2008 when it becomes available, at no additional charge.”
    https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/offerDetail.aspx?offerPriceId=137948

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused and appreciate your patience.
    Program Manager, Sustained Engineering Team
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 5:26 PM
  • Is there a time frame for the new material.  I am almost finished the 6048 course and cannot do the lab. 
    Monday, May 5, 2008 1:08 AM
  • It is may and it is still the same. Not at all rectified.

With Regards,
    M S Ali
    M S Ali
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:26 PM
  • HI All--

I'll follow-up with the product team to see where this stands and get back to you.

Thanks-
    Alicia

Friday, May 16, 2008 8:29 AM
  • The Course 6048: Implementing Terminal Services in Windows Server 2008 (Beta) is no longer available.  I did not get to complete it because of the errors.  Is the final release going to be made available (as mentioned in a previous post) at no cost?  If so how to I access it.

So far I have not been impressed with the online training or the support response.

Regards,

Orin

Friday, June 20, 2008 3:59 PM
  • Hi Oeisenhauer--

It is my understandig that if you previously had access to the course you would have access to the new course.    If you want to send me an email to learnmgr@microsoft.com I can work with you directly to discuss ths issue on your account.

Thanks!
    Alicia
    Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Friday, June 20, 2008 6:59 PM