Gaier MSMoneyQuotes .. Failed to update quotes. Failed to fetch quotes from MSN Money. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Bought this software about a week ago and it worked perfectly until today I've changed nothing and I now get 

[C:\Users\Paul Stead\Documents\Money\stead.mny]

Updating quotes...
    Updating quotes for 60 securities

Resolving Symbols:
    $INDU -> 30.10.!DJI.30.$INDU    DOW     Index
    $COMPX -> 29.10.@CCO.29.COMP    NASDAQ  Index
    $INX -> 33.10.!SPX.33.SPX       S&P 500 Index
    $FTSE -> GB00B84DT147 -> F00000OJRR     BlackRock Corporate Bond 1-10 Year D Acc        Unknown Type
    BPFJDD0 -> GB0005774855 -> 151.1.BRWM.LON       BlackRock World Mining Trust plc        ETF/Trust       London
    GB00BZ8FPJ50 -> F00000WZIZ      Franklin UK Mid Cap S Acc       Unknown Type
    GB00B0BB2273 -> F0GBR06ODW      MFM Techinvest Special Situations A Acc Unknown Type
    GB00BBX46522 -> F00000Q8RW      SLI Global Smaller Coms Inst Acc        Unknown Type
    GB00B7GJPN73 -> F00000OPX9      Fidelity Global Dividend W Acc  Unknown Type
    GB00B6WFCT77 -> F00000N7ZY      Artemis European Opportunities I        Unknown Type
    GB00BJT0KV40 -> F00000T5IR      Artemis Strategic Bond I Monthly Acc    Unknown Type
    GB00B2PLJR10 -> F000003U7A      Artemis Strategic Bond I Quarterly Acc  Unknown Type
    GB00BMMV5G59 -> F00000U58S      Artemis US Extended Alpha I Acc GBP     Unknown Type
    GB00B89ST706 -> F00000OPYD      Fidelity American Special Sits W Acc    Unknown Type
    GB00BBGBFM09 -> F00000Q0VC      Fidelity MoneyBuilder Income Y Acc      Unknown Type
    GB00B88V3X40 -> F00000OPY7      Fidelity Special Situations W Acc       Unknown Type
    GB0032033127 -> F0GBR04UML      HL Multi-Manager Income & Growth A Acc  Unknown Type
    GB00BDRKDV53 -> F00000YEFI      HL Select UK Income Shares A Acc        Unknown Type

Etc Etc Etc

Fetching Quotes:
    $INDU -> OK
    $COMPX -> OK
    $INX -> OK
    GB0005774855 -> OK
    AFMC -> OK
    NXT -> OK

Failed to update quotes. Failed to fetch quotes from MSN Money.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Regards

Paul

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:19 PM

All replies

• Hi

SymbolMap.csv fixed it .. I didn't think it was that at all and don't know why suddenly it needs one, I did add two new funds maybe it's a number and a timing out of server thing.

Regards

Paul

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 11:19 PM
  • MSMoneyQuotes.exe calls "quote web services" provided by MSN Money.  These are the same web services that power things like their Windows 10 Money app and parts of the msn.com website.

This quote web service can return quotes for up to 50 symbols at a time.  Therefore my program must fetch quotes in batches of 50 symbols (if there are more than 50 to get quotes for).  It makes 1 quote web service call for each batch.

The "Failed to fetch quotes from MSN Money" message happens if any of these quote web service calls fails.  So it's possible for some to succeed and some to fail if you're updating a portfolio with more than 50 quotes  In this case, you will see some symbols/quotes update successfully while others do not.

It appears MSN Money is having issues with their quote web services recently.  I have been flooded with reports of this error.

Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it.  My program has a dependency on MSN Money's quote service, but I can't control or fix problems with it.  This why I repeat the sentence "I cannot fix issues on MSN Money.  I am not a Microsoft employee." on my support page: https://gaiersoftware.com/Money/DetailsAndHelp

Web services are just like any internet website, they can have outages and problems.  So I can only guess MSN Money is have issues/outages.  They employee large teams who are responsible for providing and maintaining these web services.  I can only hope they address this problem and the GBP vs. GBX problem soon.  Although the later problem is likely with their data provider Morningstar. So you can see the trail of dependencies they have and my program has, which are out of my control.

It's as frustrating for me as it is you.  I wish I could fix it for you, but I can't.

Dan   

Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:05 AM
  • Thanks Dan

It was no means meant as a criticism of the software I searched the forum and the web and couldn't find an explanation hence my post.

Regards

Paul

Friday, January 12, 2018 8:20 AM
  • Hi Paul - am having the same issue. Found the symbolmap.csv file. what did you do to yours to make the download of quotes successful? Thanks
    Friday, June 21, 2019 8:56 PM
  • Hi Paul - am having the same issue. Found the symbolmap.csv file. what did you do to yours to make the download of quotes successful? Thanks
    symbolmap.csv  is not related to the current problem.
    Friday, June 21, 2019 10:19 PM
  • TR19, I was just looking at this thread as well as I have have the same problem after years of it working fine. I wonder if Microsoft have changed something with their web services?
    • Edited by mertles Friday, June 21, 2019 10:44 PM
    Friday, June 21, 2019 10:30 PM
  • Friday, June 21, 2019 11:55 PM
  • Just came to say that it seems to be working again as I just updated successfully. Fingers crossed Microsoft leave the old service running.

And thanks for the message above Dan. Fully appreciate your position. Thanks again.

Saturday, June 22, 2019 2:53 AM
  • Just came to say that it seems to be working again as I just updated successfully. Fingers crossed Microsoft leave the old service running.

And thanks for the message above Dan. Fully appreciate your position. Thanks again.

Me too. Woo Hoo...
    Saturday, June 22, 2019 3:05 AM
  • Hey, it just worked for me too !!

The bad news is that the update shows that instead of winning I lost !!

Many thanks for the feedback guys.

Monday, June 24, 2019 2:12 AM
  • I have not received any update on June 27. And so far nothing for June 28 (I am in Europe) Hope it get autoresolved again.

Thanks for update on the situation.

Friday, June 28, 2019 9:32 AM

not working again
    Friday, June 28, 2019 11:37 AM
  • I check http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/stockdetails/nas-msft/fi-a1xzim?symbol=MSFT&form=PRFIEQ

The page says "Data not available" farther down. That occurred during the other event.

Friday, June 28, 2019 1:02 PM
  • I'm also getting the 'failed to fetch quotes' message again. Thanks to Dan Gaier for all his hard work and efforts in keeping the quotes function in Money working! I love MS Money and don't want to change - hope it resolves again on it's own...

Sal Sorice SoriceConsulting LLC www.soriceconsulting.com

Friday, June 28, 2019 7:36 PM
  • Hasn't been working for me since June 7th, so clearly some variations out there...

Imports of Financial Times quote data still working fine though, so if this persists too much longer I will have to switch to using that for all my quotes

Friday, June 28, 2019 8:51 PM
  • CrackRecord,

Do the Financial Times quotes also interface with MS Money (ie, is there software similar to what Dan wrote)?

Saturday, June 29, 2019 4:07 AM
  • Oops, sorry for my spelling error CrackedRecord...  :^)

Saturday, June 29, 2019 4:08 AM
  • My computer today hangs at the message 'Updating quotes ...'

Two days ago, it hung at the 'failed to fetch quotes' message.

I hope this means that MSN is doing something that will eventually make it work. 

Saturday, June 29, 2019 4:51 PM
  • Unfortunately, mine hangs for about a minute at 'updating', but then fails with the 'failed to update quotes' message. Sigh...

Saturday, June 29, 2019 7:11 PM
  • Please keep an eye on this page to see updates: https://gaiersoftware.com/Home/Message

It seems Microsoft is proceeding with killing even more quote services, including the one used to resolve symbols.  So MSMoneyQuotes will now "hang" as it awaits very long running HTTP calls to resolve each symbol in your Money file.

See the post, I've already begun work on switching to the newer quote services that power the latest Windows 10 Finance app.

Dan

Sunday, June 30, 2019 3:34 PM
  • I've written a Java program that updates stock prices in MS Money using Yahoo's quote API. It also updates other data such as market capitalisation, day high/low, etc.

Further details here.

Jonathan.

Sunday, June 30, 2019 6:47 PM
  • Thanks Dan! Will keep an eye on your site and gladly purchase a new license to thank you for your efforts.

Sunday, June 30, 2019 7:54 PM
  • Thanks Dan! Will keep an eye on your site and gladly purchase a new license to thank you for your efforts.

Completely agree with above comments. I am also very willing to support your coding efforts Dan, keep up the good work. Best regards Richard
    Monday, July 1, 2019 9:21 PM
  • MSMoneyQuotes version 2.4 has been released and is available via a link on this post: https://gaiersoftware.com/Home/Message

As mentioned in the post, we may have to work together to compile a list of financial instruments for all the indexes available on MSN Money.  Users may have to manually enter them into SymbolMap.csv if they don't already have an entry for a particular index.

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 12:18 AM
  • 2.4 still not working for me:

Failed to update quotes. Failed to fetch quotes from MSN Money.

Could it be because of Aussie stocks?

Also happy to chip in some extra $$$$

• Edited by Boxall Tuesday, July 2, 2019 2:53 AM
    Tuesday, July 2, 2019 2:50 AM
  • Using the -v I can see the names resolving so unsure. Example:

CBA -> 146.1.CBA.ASX    CBA     Equity  Australia
    VEA -> 146.1.VEA.ASX    Viva Energy     Equity  Australia
    OZL -> 146.1.OZL.ASX    OZ Minerals     Equity  Australia

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 4:44 AM
  • Working again, thanks
    Tuesday, July 2, 2019 11:34 AM
  • Reference the thread on Gaier software Online MSMoney Quotes not working in June 2019 due  to MSN quotes not updating. This is excellent software developed by Dan Gaier and I like others would like to contribute to Dan's continued efforts to maintain and correct the recent MSN problem. Is there a simply way to do this?

I have downloaded and updated to version 2.4. The problem is now resolved for me.

Thank you for your continued excellent support Dan.

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 7:00 AM
  • Further to my comment above.

Unfortunately the prices for shares in Money itself are now in pence ie 555.9 rather than 55.9 in £'s which is affecting the values in Money. Is there a way to correct this?

Investment Funds and other prices appear to display correctly in £ values.

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 7:06 AM
  • Typo in comment above - should have read 'are now in pence ie 555.9 rather than 5.559 in £'s.
    Wednesday, July 3, 2019 7:57 AM
  • Dan is aware of this problem and is working on it.  See:https://gaiersoftware.com/Home/Message

Bill Becker

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 2:08 PM
  • Using the -v I can see the names resolving so unsure. Example:

CBA -> 146.1.CBA.ASX    CBA     Equity  Australia
    VEA -> 146.1.VEA.ASX    Viva Energy     Equity  Australia
    OZL -> 146.1.OZL.ASX    OZ Minerals     Equity  Australia

Bosall, if you are interested in working on this, I suggest you start another thread. There you can tell us about whether you use a SymbolMap.csv file and maybe paste the contents of that file if not very long. Tell us if any symbols are working OK, and what symbols are not.

I would use the Australian Stock Exchange or ASE in the title.

I just added the following line to my SymbolMap.csv file:

VEA,146.1.VEA.ASX

As a test, I created a Buy for VEA, said it was an Australian stock, gave it the VEA symbol. I then ran MSMoneyQuotes and got an AU$2.10 quote fetched.

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 2:48 PM
  • I posted another update today: http://gaiersoftware.com/Home/Message

One item I'd like to callout is the new page I've been working on to allow searching for "Financial Instruments": http://gaiersoftware.com/FinancialInstrumentSearch

Microsoft changed their MSN Money URLs so you can no longer see the financial instrument in the URL.  So I created a page that uses the same search API that the MSN Money pages use, but I also display the underlying financial instrument for you to use in SymbolMap.csv.

Hopefully this will help users where MSMoneyQuotes is failing to automatically resolve their symbols.  In this case, use the above page to find financial instruments and use the -m SymbolMap.csv feature to manually map the symbols in your Money file to the proper financial instruments.

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 5:19 PM
  • Version 2.5 has been released.  I posted another update today: http://gaiersoftware.com/Home/Message
    Saturday, July 6, 2019 4:21 PM
  •  Add GBX to the 3rd column in your symbol map csv file alongside any fund that is not returning the correct value.

Hope this helps

Rod

Monday, July 8, 2019 8:09 PM
  • Many thanks for your work, Dan; much appreciated.

I hope this is a small matter: Currency Updater worked very nicely in the version before all the recent problems.  Now, it doesn't appear to be present in 2.5.  Could this be added again?

Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:27 PM
  • I get a message "Read 44 symbol mappings from SymbolMap.csv".  Next "Updating quotes for 57 securities", followed by 44 lines showing 'Resolved using SymbolMap.csv'.  After this "Fetching quotes" and "Failed to Update quotes. Failed to fetch quotes from MSN Money".  Is there anything I can do now or is there still a problem on the MSN Money side.  I have another file with bond CUSIPs and that works fine.
    • Proposed as answer by Rodstep Monday, July 15, 2019 5:43 PM
    Saturday, July 13, 2019 4:15 AM
  • I don't think MSN Money is working as well as it did previously. Why they had to fix something that wasn't broke is beyond me.

I have shares that are updating correctly but all my funds are lagging behind date wise but hopefully they will catch up at some point. 

I am wondering which column in your symbol map. csv you have the relevant financial instrument and which column you have the ISIN code. Do you have the ISIN code in the 1st column and the financial instrument code in the 2nd. If not swap them around

Hope this helps.

Rod

Monday, July 15, 2019 5:51 PM