Impossible to connect with Windows Home Server for recovery RRS feed

• Question

• I have followed various threads, tips, and techniques to attempt a recovery from my Home Server.  It's been fine to store files and once you get rid of a few add-ins, it's actually reasonably fast.  Ah, but when it comes time to recover, that's another story.

I have changed DHCP settings, eliminated hard-wired IP addresses, connected via a router that has nothing else on it, used a crossover cable, you name it.  Can't find the server.

I have "restored" my crashed PC with recovery disks.  So the good news is that I have a nice fast Vista Ultimate 64 machine.  And, I have my data.  Just not my OS image.  The bad news is that I want the machine I had before and can't get it.  And, there's nice backup on the Home Server.  I recovered an XP machine 10 months ago, no problem.  Not so with my fairly new Vista machine.

Sorry for the rant, but it simply should not be this hard.  I am not an expert but can find my way around a PC and a network.  I'd like to think there is a way - one little setting no doubt.  Surely this rather elegant backup solution is better than the likes of Norton and company.

THE ONLY CLUE I have remaining is this form the technical documentation...

If you are restoring from a 64-bit computer the drivers that are stored in the backup will be 64-bit.  These will not function with the 32-bit restore CD.  Therefore it is may be necessary to obtain 32-bit versions of the network driver and storage-device drivers for your 64-bit computer, while doing a restore of your home computer.

I have Seagate drives and who knows what network adapter.  If I could find these drivers, I don't know how I would get them inserted into the recovery process.  As someone said, you need a Command Prompt somewhere along the line.

I hope someone can show me the way...
    Monday, February 8, 2010 4:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You want to recover your 64-Bit Vista Machine using Windows Home Server (that's what I caught from your rant ;-)

You will need to find out what network adapter you have and download the 32-bit drivers for them and put them on a USB stick.  In Vista go to Device Manager (Right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware, Device Manager) go to network Adapters and then find the Wired Adapter in question - then use the name to look up the drivers and download them from the manufacturers site.

When you run the restore CD it tells you what hardware it has found.

Manually load the driver from the USB flash when you reach the screen that shows the network and storage devices found.  At the bottom there's a button to "Install Drivers.." - scan the memory stick where you saved your drivers.

You might want to consult this guide to familarise yourself with the process.
    http://www.mediasmarthome.com/article/14041/Restoring-64-bit-PCs-from-Windows-Home-Server-What-You-Need-to-Know/

Good Luck,
    Al

--
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Friday, February 12, 2010 11:24 PM
    Monday, February 8, 2010 10:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You want to recover your 64-Bit Vista Machine using Windows Home Server (that's what I caught from your rant ;-)

You will need to find out what network adapter you have and download the 32-bit drivers for them and put them on a USB stick.  In Vista go to Device Manager (Right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware, Device Manager) go to network Adapters and then find the Wired Adapter in question - then use the name to look up the drivers and download them from the manufacturers site.

When you run the restore CD it tells you what hardware it has found.

Manually load the driver from the USB flash when you reach the screen that shows the network and storage devices found.  At the bottom there's a button to "Install Drivers.." - scan the memory stick where you saved your drivers.

You might want to consult this guide to familarise yourself with the process.
    http://www.mediasmarthome.com/article/14041/Restoring-64-bit-PCs-from-Windows-Home-Server-What-You-Need-to-Know/

Good Luck,
    Al

--
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Friday, February 12, 2010 11:24 PM
    Monday, February 8, 2010 10:53 AM
  • to add... some of the newer realtek network chipsets out there dont play nice with the default realtek network driver... 
    Monday, February 8, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Well, Al, between you and the article, I am now watching my recovery in progress.  Things are looking good, but likely won't know until morning.

Finding the drivers on the HP web site was easy.  I extracted them using Universal Extractor as suggested in the article.  Nothing about the results looked at all promising, but put all the files on a flash drive - both the network adapter and the driver controller.  Miraculously, the flash drive was detected, the recovery software said if found relevant drivers (though it provides no real details).  It loaded it.  Lo and hehold, the server was found.  Selected the computer, backup that I wanted, and the process began.

Thank you.  Thank you very much.

Scott
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:44 AM