none
Will Old Registration Key still work after Reinstalling Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• My laptop is getting really slow so I'm planning to completely wipe the harddrive then reinstall Windows 7.  I have the Windows 7 Professional 64bit disk and registration key from when I first installed it about 1 year ago.

Will the registration key still work during the reinstall?  Or will Windows say the key has alreay been registered previously and I need to buy another key? 

Thanks

Thursday, January 5, 2012 10:27 AM

Answers

• "jarry162" wrote in message news:62b30758-10ce-4df8-bc54-a755f0fbec01...

My laptop is getting really slow so I'm planning to completely wipe the harddrive then reinstall Windows 7.  I have the Windows 7 Professional 64bit disk and registration key from when I first installed it about 1 year ago.

Will the registration key still work during the reinstall?  Or will Windows say the key has alreay been registered previously and I need to buy another key?

Thanks

Yes – you should have no problem reinstalling with the current Key, assuming there’s been no changes in hardware since you first activated.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:01 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 10:41 AM

All replies

• "jarry162" wrote in message news:62b30758-10ce-4df8-bc54-a755f0fbec01...

My laptop is getting really slow so I'm planning to completely wipe the harddrive then reinstall Windows 7.  I have the Windows 7 Professional 64bit disk and registration key from when I first installed it about 1 year ago.

Thanks

Yes – you should have no problem reinstalling with the current Key, assuming there’s been no changes in hardware since you first activated.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:01 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 10:41 AM
  • Thanks Noel.

What would happen if I changed the harddrive to a different one?

Thursday, January 5, 2012 10:47 AM
  • "jarry162" wrote in message news:497575ad-0bb8-4868-9e21-0b058d342008...

Thanks Noel.

What would happen if I changed the harddrive to a different one?

No problem – but you may need to activate by phone.
    The only serious problem that may arise is if you change the motherboard – in which case it would depend on whether the license is a Retail or OEM one (check your Product ID in System properties – the second groups of characters will be OEM for an OEM license). An OEM license lives and dies on the first motherboard on which it is activated, except under certain very limited circumstances.

Thursday, January 5, 2012 11:09 AM