important points i will like to see RRS feed

• General discussion

• This i think is very important..  i think what needs to be done is that after the first installation on the client side a complete back up should be made and archived. after this all backup of that machine will be the changes to folders that have been specified by the user. infact apart from folders also ask for backups for important stuff. The main thing that will be really really cool is if network authentication can be enabled. i mean if i log on to another pc i will like to see a virtual instace of my machine i am used to . this also applies to if i connect to my home server from the internet. i log in and see my folders documents and if possible my programs also i will like to configure different machines on the fly even if i am away.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:08 AM

All replies

•  platinumacetric wrote:
    This i think is very important.. i think what needs to be done is that after the first installation on the client side a complete back up should be made and archived. after this all backup of that machine will be the changes to folders that have been specified by the user. infact apart from folders also ask for backups for important stuff. The main thing that will be really really cool is if network authentication can be enabled. i mean if i log on to another pc i will like to see a virtual instace of my machine i am used to . this also applies to if i connect to my home server from the internet. i log in and see my folders documents and if possible my programs also i will like to configure different machines on the fly even if i am away.

After the first installation of the Connector a full backup is made. It kicks off between midnight and 6 AM. Also after that first backup it does backup what has changed. With WHS you can use Remote Access and login to your server and then use Remote Desktop to access your machines just as if you were sitting in front of it. If you need directions on how to configure that go to http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer and then download the documentation.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:55 AM
  • point taken . i am well aware of this feature. maybe i did not express my self properly. but this is what i was thinking or talking about.  if a back up is made each one of those backups are basically images of the systems if i can load the last image as a virtual machine on the fly i could basically be working on a system as if there was an actual pc. i mean it might be a lil too much especially from a home server system but i can see alot of crazy funtionality on it. it will not be hard to implement since microsoft already makes virutal pc software. but as i say agian the functionality of it being a homeserver might be defeaed in this instance..

thanks

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:37 PM
  • If I'm understanding you correctly, you can use remote desktop to access your desktop from anywhere (assuming proper configuration). You can also go through the web console and connect to the desktop of any computer on your network (again using remote desktop I believe).

Is that what you're referring to or are you wanting multiple images that you can store and then load back on to one machine? Right now I'm using an Acronis product to create and restore different images. One of the things I'm wanting to test is loading up different images, doing a manual backup, and then testing to see if that's a viable means of loading different images. If anyone has done this or wants to try before I get to it, let me know how it turns out.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 4:34 PM
  • nah not really . but i acknowledge what you are saying. and it makes sense. if your pc is on at home you can remotely connect to it and use it as a regular desktop. what i am talking about is integrating virtual machine with home server. therby you can load an image directly from the archive and run it via virtual pc installed on the home server. the main advantage of this is that the outside user does not neccessarily connect to any of the pc's even if the remote pc is shut off. it's more like having a live dvd version of vista running at any moment you need it. the main advantage is not that much at the moment but could grow.

thanks for your post by the way i think i will research on acronis, seems like an interesting tool

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 5:37 PM
  • Your talking about running an instance of a backup? So you could say, run a Virtual copy of a backup image and then install a program on that virtual copy to see how it performs, or if it infects the system.. and can safely close the virtual copy without any risk to your live version of Windows?
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 5:52 PM
  • Yeah, I think that's the gist and it is a good point. In the past I've kept a separate box or partition for testing OS or software before installing on my "good" box. Virtualization has been on my to-do list for quite awhile now but I haven't made the time to play with it.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:18 PM
  • yeah you get the main gist of it. but what i want to do is just run an instance of that copy. no need to install anything. if installation is done then when the machine comes online the home server should sync with the machine and make sure that the system has a copy of the installed software. this will help alot. like installing new updates. new updates will be downloaded to the server and patched by the system if the machine is offline and then stream the newer data to the machine when it starts up.  although i strongly belive that any installation or update should be done to the incremental backup not the full backup. cause sometimes an installation could mess up the system and you will need to restore to either the first full backup or an incremental backup. hope this clearifies my thoughts
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:44 PM