Running CRM 2011 for Outlook with an account other than the authenticated user RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have a scenario where I need to connect crm for outlook with another user account than the currently authenticated one. In CRM online, you can choose the account once you tested the connection in configuration wizard. In on-premise, however, you are authenticated with AD, and not get that option. I also tried to run the configuration manager as the other user, but it made no difference.

Do you have any ideas haw can I accomplish this?

Regards,

Adam

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 9:24 AM

All replies

• Adam,

In my installation, I needed to do this because we run our CRM instance in different domain (DMZ) than our Desktop machines (internal).  Once you install CRM for Outlook and try to test the connection the first time Close Outlook and any version of the configuration wizard. Then go to Control Panel | User Accounts | Manage your credentials.  In the generic credentials section you have one that starts with Microsoft_CRM_ .  Just edit this entry and add the User ID and password you want it to use and you'll get past the test connection.

This setting will of course need to change any time the password changes for that set of credentials or CRM for Outlook client will break and on some machines cause Outlook to take a long time to load so you have to modify the generic  credentials before trying to open Outlook after changing the password.

Good Luck,

John

• Proposed as answer by JohnBrown Wednesday, January 29, 2014 4:29 PM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 4:06 PM