Add-ins Cannot install or Remove RRS feed

• Question

• Since upgrading to PP1 I seem to have lost the ability to install or remove any addins.

Every time I try to install an adding I get the error message

"The selected add-in failed to install. The error code was 1618.  Please contact the addin author for assistance."

I have tried to find any information available on error code 1618 but cannot find any.

When I try to uninstall an Add-in I get the following message

"Unisallation failed"

Not very helpfull at all.

I have tried to reinstall PP1 but cannot work out how to do this?

Any assistance would be welcome

Thank you.

Nik
    Friday, September 19, 2008 7:09 PM

Answers

• I have created instructions detailing how one would go about manually removing a particular add-in… if the control panel -> add and remove still fails perhaps this helps and remove directly from the registry:

http://www.gridjunction.com/gridjunction-manual-uninstall-remove-instructions

I would uninstall/remove all of your installed addins… reboot, remote desktop and clean your temp files by typing %temp% in the address bar prior to re-installing any addins.
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 1:32 AM

All replies

• Which add-ins are you no longer to uninstall? did you install then before or after upgrading to PP1?
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 5:24 AM
  • Some were installed before and some after.

For instance Windows Home Server Toolkit Ver 6.0.1639.0 will not unistall, I get the error message "unistall failed"

Also recently Windows Home Server Console keeps loosing its connection, especially after trying to do an addin install or unistall.

I would like to try reinstalling PP1 to see if that helps, but I can't work out how to do that.

Help much appreciated

Nik
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 8:25 PM
  • NikK123 said:

Every time I try to install an adding I get the error message
    "The selected add-in failed to install. The error code was 1618.  Please contact the addin author for assistance."

Error 1618 can be the result of another installation process being in progress or one that is somehow stalled.
    Did you try restarting your server?

If this does not resolve your issue, you can try the following procedure:
    Restart the server and connect to the desktop through RDP (do not start the WHS console). Then try uninstalling your add-in(s) and optionally PP1 using Start->Control Panel->Add or remove programs. Make sure you select the check-box to show updates.

Note - Please be warned:
    Using tools from the remote desktop can damage your server if not done correctly! Do not uninstall any component if you are not very sure it can be removed safely.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 9:48 PM
  • I have created instructions detailing how one would go about manually removing a particular add-in… if the control panel -> add and remove still fails perhaps this helps and remove directly from the registry:

http://www.gridjunction.com/gridjunction-manual-uninstall-remove-instructions

I would uninstall/remove all of your installed addins… reboot, remote desktop and clean your temp files by typing %temp% in the address bar prior to re-installing any addins.
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 1:32 AM