Failure Every Sunday RRS feed

• Question

• I've used a virtualized WHS system (not supported - right?) to back up a number of similarly-virtualized machines.   They're a mix of various Windows OSes.

In the sixish months I've had this setup, every single Sunday, without fail, I get a popup: Windows Home Server Computer Backup encountered a problem and needed to close.  The details report cites whsbackup.exe as the szAppName and the szModName.

I'm hypothesizing that this has to do with the weekly backup cleanup, which is documented as occurring on Sundays.  The app must restart itself, as there's never been any failure to a daily backup of any of the machines

Has anyone encountered this before?  Any advice?

Art

Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:20 PM

All replies

• I've used a virtualized WHS system (not supported - right?) to back up a number of similarly-virtualized machines.   They're a mix of various Windows OSes.

In the sixish months I've had this setup, every single Sunday, without fail, I get a popup: Windows Home Server Computer Backup encountered a problem and needed to close.  The details report cites whsbackup.exe as the szAppName and the szModName.

I'm hypothesizing that this has to do with the weekly backup cleanup, which is documented as occurring on Sundays.  The app must restart itself, as there's never been any failure to a daily backup of any of the machines

Has anyone encountered this before?  Any advice?

Art 

You might try setting up another VM install of WHS and see if that install works any better.  Also, have you tried opening the backups and recovering a few random files?  Perhaps the backup database is corrupted and needs to be deleted.
    Friday, June 11, 2010 4:17 AM
  • Try a manual cleanup, to see if it produces the same results. If it does, try repairing the database, then another manual cleanup. If that doesn't work, try running chkdsk on all the drives in your server, then another repair and cleanup.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 11, 2010 12:20 PM
  • On top of what Kens recommendation is, if you cannot find any issues related to disk/ntfs errors in the event log of the server, and you don't see it as necessary to keep the backups (or if you cannot open those any more) it might also be the easiest way to delete the entire backup database and start backups from the scratch.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, June 11, 2010 9:06 PM
  • Thanks, everyone.  CHKDSK comes out clean on both the little SYS and the DATA partitions.  I was able to restore a couple of random files from a couple of different computers' backups without incident, and had previously done a bare metal full restoration just to test the capacity - which was a fairly nasty process on a virtualized setup due to driver issues.  So I'm convinced things are working OK.

I have to confess being unfamiliar with the "manual cleanup" capacity.   If someone wants to give the "25 words or less" spiel, I'd be grateful, and otherwise will Google it.

The WHS system gives every indication of humming along, doing its thing, aside from this weekly popup.  I'm not sure, given the benign issue, that I want to purge everything and start over.

Art

Monday, June 14, 2010 6:05 PM
  • Thanks, everyone.  CHKDSK comes out clean on both the little SYS and the DATA partitions.  I was able to restore a couple of random files from a couple of different computers' backups without incident, and had previously done a bare metal full restoration just to test the capacity - which was a fairly nasty process on a virtualized setup due to driver issues.  So I'm convinced things are working OK.

I have to confess being unfamiliar with the "manual cleanup" capacity.   If someone wants to give the "25 words or less" spiel, I'd be grateful, and otherwise will Google it. 

From the Console:  Settings button > Backup tab > Cleanup Now button.

The WHS system gives every indication of humming along, doing its thing, aside from this weekly popup.  I'm not sure, given the benign issue, that I want to purge everything and start over.

Art

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 4:17 AM