User Folders RRS feed

• Question

• In the original version of WHS when you created a user a typical set of user folders would be ceated for that user (i.e. Documents, Music, Vidoes, etc), that were private to that user. That does not seem to be the case for 2011.

How do user folders work in WHS 2011 so that the individual users can get to items they want to reach from the world, without placing them in shared folders.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 9:40 PM

All replies

• The only "user" folder that was created for users in V1 was the one under the \\server\users share. Within that folder, users could create additional folders as they saw fit.

As for Windows Home Server 2011, there are no user folders. If you want to create a share for each user, with permissions set so only that user has access, you can do so.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 11:31 PM
  • Although I like Windows Home Server 2011 in many ways, the users and accounts functions are a bit of a mess.

It's taken me quite a while to realise that I need to create a shared folder for individual users and then stop it being shared by restricting access to the other users. Originally I created user accounts and folders directly in the file system via remote desktop connection as this seemed to be the only way to get it to do what I wanted to do.  I think you see the error of my ways now, but the online guides are not exactly helpful in this regard.

Simon
    Monday, September 12, 2011 1:45 PM