CRM 3.0 Upgrade - Index problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have come across an usual error message while upgrading crm 3.0 to crm 4.0. Upgrade gets fail during updating indexes in sql. it shows me below message

Error| System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot create a row of size 8198 which is greater than the allowable maximum of 8060.
    Could not create constraint. See previous errors.
    Warning! The maximum key length is 900 bytes. The index 'ndx_ContactCover' has maximum length of 2020 bytes. For some combination of large values, the insert/update operation will fail.

I have also tried to upgrade without this index "ndx_ContactCover" but noticed CRM 4.0 upgrade created it again during upgrade.

Please suggest me what am I missing and what else shall I do?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Faisal,

I recall running into something similar.  The fix we used was to first change a couple crm 3 fields from varchar to text.  The text fields are stored outside the 'row' so don't count in this limit.  OR decrease the size of the varchar fields in crm 3.

Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    • Marked as answer by FaisalKhan01 Monday, July 5, 2010 1:15 PM
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:50 PM
  • check your Contact entity for any custom fields of nvarchar type and try removing some or create ntext fields instead and put the data in those fields then delete the nvarchar custom fields.  This is what Alex is suggesting I believe.  The fields you listed are system fields and you can not remove those.  You need to remove some of your custom fields.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, July 2, 2010 4:10 PM
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 6:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Faisal,

I recall running into something similar.  The fix we used was to first change a couple crm 3 fields from varchar to text.  The text fields are stored outside the 'row' so don't count in this limit.  OR decrease the size of the varchar fields in crm 3.

Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    • Marked as answer by FaisalKhan01 Monday, July 5, 2010 1:15 PM
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:50 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply. I am actually not sure which particular field causes this error. My best guess would be those fields specified in index?

ndx_ContactCover (CRM 4 version) having these index coulms

FirstName Ascending nvarchar(50) 100 
    LastName Ascending nvarchar(50) 100 
    FullName Ascending nvarchar(160) 320 
    YomiFirstName Ascending nvarchar(150) 300 
    YomiLastName Ascending nvarchar(150) 300 
    YomiFullName Ascending nvarchar(450) 900 

while

ndx_ContactCover (CRM 3 version) having these index coulms

FirstName Ascending nvarchar(50) 100 
    LastName Ascending nvarchar(50) 100 
    FullName Ascending nvarchar(160) 320 

Please suggest

Thanks

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 3:08 PM
  • check your Contact entity for any custom fields of nvarchar type and try removing some or create ntext fields instead and put the data in those fields then delete the nvarchar custom fields.  This is what Alex is suggesting I believe.  The fields you listed are system fields and you can not remove those.  You need to remove some of your custom fields.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, July 2, 2010 4:10 PM
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 6:22 PM
  • Thanks Alex and Donna. I did the same and managed to upgrade but now the problem is I have to transfer all data again :)

Many Thanks

Monday, July 5, 2010 1:17 PM