Default Server Folder Name RRS feed

• Question

• I installed 2 Default Server Folders (Pictures and Recorded TV) on drive E:.  Lost my drive E: so moved folder to drive G:, reconnected my drive E: and tried to move the 2 files from drive G: to drive E:.  When I do, I get a response that there is already a folder with that name on drive E:.

Question:  Is there a way to move the Default Drives back to Drive E:? 

If I reformat Drive E:, will my Default Folders be recreated?  I'm wanting to place 3-Default Folders on Drive E: (Music, Pictures and Recorded TV) or do I need to reinstall WHS2011 again?

Thank you for the support.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 3:22 AM

All replies

• The exact sequence of events isn't clear from your post; it sounds like you're saying you:

• Moved some shares to a different drive in your server (E:).
    • Had a failure on that drive, so recreated those shares on yet another drive (G:).
    • Were able to recover the disk after the failure, so you want to move the shares back?

If that's correct, then you should be able to delete anything on that drive you've recovered, then move the shares back to it. But I would recommend against doing so; if a drive has failed once, it's likely to do so again.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 11:13 AM
  • How did you move the folders? Via console?

If you want to copy files, you could do it locally on the desktop of the server via Windows Explorer.

Or you attach the recovered disk to a client and target the shared folder on the server via its UNC path name. After that you could delete the folders on that drive.

If you cannot access the folders because the system assumes they are on the disk already, but they aren't, maybe you would have to create them manually via Explorer (i.e. ServerFolders\Pictures) and reboot.

Another way would be to crawl through the registry in HKLM and search for E:\ServerFolders, alter this to the current path. This should be the last resort. Potentially interesting keys woud be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\LanmanServer\Shares and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\Media Streaming\Folders, but there are many occurences of the path somewhere else.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:48 PM