Can not Ignore/Delete Alerts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - odd issues started happening the other day on my WHS 2011 box.  Not sure whether they are related.

One of my PCs is a set-top Media Center box.  As such, Security Essentials and the like is not installed (I run a scan over it regularly, but it is not used for anything other than Media Center).

WHS 2011 rightly alerts me of this, and I usually select ignore.

Now, every time I go to ignore/delete the alert, it returns immediately.  Still with the original date/time stamp.  I can't get rid of it.

I don't know whether this is related, but last week I changed my Windows Live password at the request of Microsoft, and Remote Access quite rightly stopped working.  However, repairing it would not ask me to update the password (kept looping for 12+ hours saying it was configuring the router).  I got it working last night by renaming and naming back a registry folder and that that somehow got it to go through the correct procedure of password updates.

I've not really had too many problems with my WHS box, and it's not that heavily customised, but an issue repairing remote access and the alert system ignoring my requests leads me to believe something might be afoot.  Whilst remote access appears to be working, I'm not currently that confident with the system.

Any help appreciated, thank you.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 10:17 AM

All replies

• Ignoring an alert should leave it there but greyed out - it shouldn't give different warnings.

Hi - odd issues started happening the other day on my WHS 2011 box.  Not sure whether they are related.

One of my PCs is a set-top Media Center box.  As such, Security Essentials and the like is not installed (I run a scan over it regularly, but it is not used for anything other than Media Center).

WHS 2011 rightly alerts me of this, and I usually select ignore.

Now, every time I go to ignore/delete the alert, it returns immediately.  Still with the original date/time stamp.  I can't get rid of it.

I don't know whether this is related, but last week I changed my Windows Live password at the request of Microsoft, and Remote Access quite rightly stopped working.  However, repairing it would not ask me to update the password (kept looping for 12+ hours saying it was configuring the router).  I got it working last night by renaming and naming back a registry folder and that that somehow got it to go through the correct procedure of password updates.

I've not really had too many problems with my WHS box, and it's not that heavily customised, but an issue repairing remote access and the alert system ignoring my requests leads me to believe something might be afoot.  Whilst remote access appears to be working, I'm not currently that confident with the system.

Any help appreciated, thank you.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 8:49 PM
  • Ignoring an alert should leave it there but greyed out - it shouldn't give different warnings.

Sorry - I wasn't clear.  The alert goes immediately back to red when ignored.  If I delete it, it comes straight back.  Not a new alert, the same one.

I've got a couple of warnings about updates on other machines and they can be ignored (they grey out as expected).  I'm just wondering whether I've got a rogue alert in that the Dashboard can't alter, whether it's something to do with critical alerts, or whether it's something to do with that particular machine.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 9:12 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my interrupting.

Just my guess, Phil should mean that the alert is still listed in the Alert Viewer and is grayed out it (disabled) when you ignore an alert.

Would you please let me know whether had installed Update Rollup 1 for Windows Home Server 2011? I noticed that following issue was resolved by this update.

Issue 2

In the Alert Viewer window, you select an alert, and then you click Ignore the alert to stop receiving notifications for this alert. However, the notifications still appear.

If any update, please feel free to let us know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Friday, September 12, 2014 3:12 AM
  • Thanks - I have all updates installed, and have just re-checked.  That update was installed 25 August 2011.

Typically. I ignore this particular alert and it goes grey as expected.  However, it's started staying red permanently.

I've since started receiving another alert about backups not completing.  I originally ignored it thinking that it was because I was rebooting during backup, but it's persisted and looks like it might be related...

--------------------------------------------------------

A scheduled backup did not finish successfully
    SERVER 11/09/2014 12:00
    The scheduled backup did not finish successfully and returned the following error code: 2155348299

Access is denied

--------------------------------------------------------

The fact that it's Access denied suggests to me that it might be related.  There might be something on the server that's got its permissions muddled and is not letting me edit an alert.  Clutching at straws a bit, I know.

Friday, September 12, 2014 8:25 AM