Live Writer does not load on start-up RRS feed

• Question

• I suspect this occurred because Writer was interrupted when I had a system failure weeks ago.

What happens is that I start Writer, the splash screen loads up, but then disappears and Writer never appears in the task bar. When it starts up it appears in the Processes Task Manager tab, but then it disappears. There is no Watson report or crash / error dialog.

I have performed a complete uninstall, have reverted to the Wave 2 version of Writer, and have tried installing the RC candidate. All have suffered from the same issue described above.

Below is the entry from the log file for when I started it up until it disappeared:

WindowsLiveWriter,1.3040,None,00001,23-Dec-2008 09:41:34.677,"User is opted into CEIP",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.3040,None,00002,23-Dec-2008 09:41:34.694,"Starting Windows Live Writer 14.0.8050.1202",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.3040,None,00003,23-Dec-2008 09:41:34.694,".NET version: 2.0.50727.1434",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.3040,None,00004,23-Dec-2008 09:41:34.721,"No legacy directory to monitor for plugins. Ignoring legacy directory.",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.3040,None,00005,23-Dec-2008 09:41:34.722,"Not monitoring legacy registry key in HKLM.",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.3040,None,00006,23-Dec-2008 09:41:34.957,"499 499",""

Any suggestions short of reformatting my computer?

Thanks,

Richard
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 2:46 PM

All replies

• Try renaming HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live\Writer to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live\Writer.old and then restarting WLW to see if it helps.
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Friday, December 26, 2008 6:54 PM
  • Doesn't work, unfortunately. Same entries come up in the log.
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 1:47 AM
  • Do you have any weird configuration with your filesystem, like a redirected my documents folder, or have it shared on a network drive or anything?
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 4:24 PM
  • Nope. It used to work as recently as the public beta. If I recall correctly I encountered a blue screen or system crash and when I recovered it would not work anymore. Unfortunately I don't remember what the exact error was.

Time for a system wipe?
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 6:08 PM
  • Is this the Richard who works down the hall from us? :) If so, maybe we can look at your machine before you resort to wiping it.
    Monday, January 5, 2009 6:32 AM
  • This was I, but my internship is now finished (hence back in Canada) and I've since wiped my machine in favour of Windows 7. Windows Live Writer does work great in Windows 7. :)

I'm sure that glitch that I was facing was one in a million. Who really does a system restore while installing something that messes up only one program?
    Monday, January 5, 2009 1:40 PM
  • Richard,

The same happened to me. I am user of WLW since the first betas 2 year ago (or 3?) and when the last week I installed the last update WLW refused to work anymore.

I was getting the splash screen and then nothing.

It seemed to me that was a problem with my accounts configured on WLW, so I went to:

C:\Documents and Settings\your profile\program data

And there was a “Windows Live Writer” folder, I renamed the folder and started WLW and WORKED!!!

Of course, toke me 2 days to figure out this. Seems to me this is a problem of compatibility between the way WLW stores the account info between versions.

Give it a try, just rename that folder (don’t delete so you have a backup of this folder)  

Maybe works also for you.

Regards,

Adrian

Monday, January 19, 2009 12:03 AM
  • Adrian, can you zip and e-mail me the contents of that old folder? We don't expect this behavior at all, it would be really helpful to see what's in there.

My e-mail is joe.cheng *AT* microsoft.com. Thanks!
    Monday, January 19, 2009 8:20 PM
  • sure, will do.

regards,
    Adrian
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:00 AM
  • OK folks, we have a pretty bad bug here. Somehow the XML files that store a list of your server-side tags, can get corrupted. When that happens, Writer can't start. To work around this, delete all the files under:

Vista:
    %AppData%\Windows Live Writer\Keywords\

XP:
    %UserProfile%\Application Data\Windows Live Writer\Keywords\

That'll let Writer start again. You'll have to hit the Refresh button inside the tag control, in order to get the list of tags back.

Sorry for the inconvenience, we're investigating how to fix this for real.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:28 AM
  • Wow, quite the bug. Glad things eventually got figured out. :)
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Hi Joe,

I've also got a problem loading Writer :-(

I've just cleared out the registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live\Writer and deleted the %AppData%\Windows Live Writer directory and uninstalled and reinstalled writer (using http://download.live.com/writer), but when I start Writer it does not load and the contents of the log file are the following...

WindowsLiveWriter,1.7332,Fail,00001,29-Jan-2009 15:43:04.074,"Unexpected Error Occurred
    Exception Details:
    An unexpected error has occurred within the application.
    System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.PostEditorFile' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.IOException: This operation is supported only when you are connected to the server.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, DirectorySecurity dirSecurity)
       at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.Create()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.PostEditorFile..cctor()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at WindowsLiveWriter.ApplicationMain.LaunchFirstInstance(IDisposable splashScreen, String[] args)",""

I did previously use a beta version.  Also, just in case it's relevant, I had it configured to publish to 3 different blogs - one on Windows Live Spaces, one on technet (http://blogs.technet.com/chris) and one internal one on Sharepoint.

Any ideas? :-)

P.S. Writer is a top product!

Chris

Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:49 PM
  •  
    Joe Cheng [MSFT] said:

OK folks, we have a pretty bad bug here. Somehow the XML files that store a list of your server-side tags, can get corrupted. When that happens, Writer can't start. To work around this, delete all the files under:

Vista:
    %AppData%\Windows Live Writer\Keywords\

XP:
    %UserProfile%\Application Data\Windows Live Writer\Keywords\

That'll let Writer start again. You'll have to hit the Refresh button inside the tag control, in order to get the list of tags back.

Sorry for the inconvenience, we're investigating how to fix this for real.

So am I supposed to go to "Start" and paste %AppData%\Windows Live Writer\Keywords\ ?  When I do three items come up but I do not understand what they are.

Friday, January 30, 2009 7:10 PM
  • Fashion Sensei said:
    So am I supposed to go to "Start" and paste %AppData%\Windows Live Writer\Keywords\ ?  When I do three items come up but I do not understand what they are.

Yes. You should see items that start with "keywords_" and then have a bunch of letters and numbers. Go ahead and delete these files. One of them is likely corrupted. Once the files are deleted, you should be able to successfully start Writer again.

They store a copy of the tags that are used on your blog, if your blog supports it (currently WordPress 2.7, WordPress.com, and BlogEngine.NET). By deleting these files, you won't get tag suggestions until you click the little refresh button inside the "Set tags" field--doing so will re-fetch the tags from the server and save them down into new "keywords_" files.

We are working on a fix for this problem and hope to release it soon--very sorry for the inconvenience.

• Edited by Joe Cheng [MSFT] Sunday, February 1, 2009 9:33 AM clarify that deleting the files will fix the problem
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 9:32 AM
  • I've tried the fix above but Live Writer still will not start for me. Is there any other course of action? Should I uninstall and reinstall??
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:13 PM
  • You shouldn't need to uninstall--just go to http://download.live.com/writer and start the install, it should upgrade smoothly. If that doesn't correct the problem, please e-mail your log file to me at joe.cheng *AT* microsoft.com.

http://jcheng.wordpress.com/writer-tips/logfile

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience!
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:58 AM
  • Joe,

I have no log file in the %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Windows Live Writer\ directory at all. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and I've had no luck. When I try to start WLW I do see Dr. Watson run for about 15 seconds and then close. Would there be a log from there that might help?
    Friday, March 13, 2009 5:26 PM
  • I fixed it. I deleted the install cache files and installed the .NET framework 3.5 SP1 software and then reinstalled WLW and it worked. I'm not sure what did it but at this point I don't care!
    Friday, March 13, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Ah, I was going to suggest .NET reinstall--glad that worked out for you!
    Friday, March 13, 2009 11:08 PM