Vista Updates has crashed my WHS. Remote access now causes rebbot. What now? RRS feed

• Question

• Last Thursday my Vista client did an update.  Ever since the update the icon at the bottom on the toolbar is red "Network Health Critical".  There also a red network health light on the front of the HP MediaSmart Server.  If I try and access the system either by logging in using  WHS console or Windows Remote Desktop Connection I believe the system WHS reboots.  The red light goes off, then turns purple, then then all the drive lights go out, the light that was red flashes blue (The icon on the tool bar turns gray.), then the blue light quits flashing and is blue and all the drive lights are blue.  Then the light turns red & the icon turns red and I get WHS Console box on the screen that says, "This computer cannot connect to your home server.  Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on.  If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."  If you retry it happens all over again.  I know the network connection is good because I can "ping" the server.  Do you think the WHS connector is corrupted? 
    There were 4 updates installed including Vista SP2. 

I'm thinking of upgrading the client to Windows 7 next week when I get it.  Is it working ok with WHS?

Thanks in advance!
    Friday, July 31, 2009 8:18 PM

All replies

• Last Thursday my Vista client did an update.  Ever since the update the icon at the bottom on the toolbar is red "Network Health Critical".  There also a red network health light on the front of the HP MediaSmart Server.  If I try and access the system either by logging in using  WHS console or Windows Remote Desktop Connection I believe the system WHS reboots.  The red light goes off, then turns purple, then then all the drive lights go out, the light that was red flashes blue (The icon on the tool bar turns gray.), then the blue light quits flashing and is blue and all the drive lights are blue.  Then the light turns red & the icon turns red and I get WHS Console box on the screen that says, "This computer cannot connect to your home server.  Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on.  If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."  If you retry it happens all over again.  I know the network connection is good because I can "ping" the server.  Do you think the WHS connector is corrupted?

Considering you are also unable to use RDC to get to the server, I don't think so.

I don't see how critical updates on Vista has anything to do with your server rebooting.  More likely, it's just bad timing (in other words, there is some issue with your server that just happened at the exact same time that you installed updates on your client).  Can you connect to the Console (or the server desktop) from a different client (assuming you have one)?  Can you successfully ping your server, both by name and by IP address?

There were 4 updates installed including Vista SP2. 

I'm thinking of upgrading the client to Windows 7 next week when I get it.  Is it working ok with WHS?

Thanks in advance!
    I haven't had any problems with 7.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 3:30 PM
  • I can ping by name & IP.  Anytime I access the system either by the ways mentioned or via Microsoft Explorer the WHS reboots.  Since there are no video, kb, or mouse connections on the WHS I can't log into it directly.  I'm thinking of unistalling the connector and reloading it.  What do you think?
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 3:51 AM
  • I can ping by name & IP.  Anytime I access the system either by the ways mentioned or via Microsoft Explorer the WHS reboots.  Since there are no video, kb, or mouse connections on the WHS I can't log into it directly.  I'm thinking of unistalling the connector and reloading it.  What do you think?

You can try it, but I highly doubt it will help at all.  Also, you never answered whether you have other clients you can try it from.  If you do have other clients, do they all act the same?
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 4:47 AM
  • I do not have other clients.
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 3:08 PM
  • I do not have other clients.

Oh ok.  The only other suggestion I can make would be to borrow another computer from someone else and try it (although I suspect you will have the same issues).  If so, I would have to guess it's a hardware issue.  I assume that this is a pre-built server (since you can't connect a keyboard, mouse or monitor)?  If so, I would suggest you contact the manufacturer for assistance (especially if your server is still under warranty).
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 5:12 PM
  • IT's an HP 475.  Not under warranty.  I swear it was working flawlessly till the Vista upgrade on the client.  Anyone else have any ideas? 
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 5:21 PM