Can Central Backup Device be across the Net? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello:

I activated my Mom's PC on my Windows Onecare account.  She lives about two hours north of me.  I told her PC to backup data to a central backup device, but that device is at my house (an external HD).  Everytime we try to run her backup, it says it can't find the central backup device.  My PC is turned on and my backup drive is powered up.  Can you only use a centralized backup device on a local network?

I know backing up across the net will be slow, but we're talking about a user who will almost never have any data that will amount to anything.  She's rarely on her PC.

So, is it possible to backup across the net or do you have to be on the same network?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Sunday, March 16, 2008 1:20 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately, you can only use a central back-up device on a local network .  There are several companies that offer Online back-up storage now. But, most charge a fee.

If your mother only has a few files to store, she should try out the Windows Live SkyDrive (http://skydrive.live.com) .  It offers up to 5 GB of free storage.

Hope this helps.

-Jennifer

Sunday, March 16, 2008 7:09 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, you can only use a central back-up device on a local network .  There are several companies that offer Online back-up storage now. But, most charge a fee.

If your mother only has a few files to store, she should try out the Windows Live SkyDrive (http://skydrive.live.com) .  It offers up to 5 GB of free storage.

Hope this helps.

-Jennifer

Sunday, March 16, 2008 7:09 PM
  • Thanks for the information. 

I have an external HD that I'll be putting in place the next time I visit her.

Thanks,

Magus

Monday, March 17, 2008 2:22 AM