Bandwidth and Time Limit RRS feed

• General discussion

• A bandwidth limitation and reserved time of day would remove annoying bandwidth consumption.

It is annoying if Home Server eat up all bandwidth, especially on the time of day where the customer typically use the internet connection for other purposes.
    A possibility to limit the bandwidth usage and the allowed time of day specified per weekday for Home Server to use internet connection would resolve this problem.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:32 AM

All replies

•  mem12345678 wrote:

A bandwidth limitation and reserved time of day would remove annoying bandwidth consumption.

It is annoying if Home Server eat up all bandwidth, especially on the time of day where the customer typically use the internet connection for other purposes.
    A possibility to limit the bandwidth usage and the allowed time of day specified per weekday for Home Server to use internet connection would resolve this problem.

What is the server doing when its using all the bandwidth?

The only time I see the server using all the bandwidth is when I am manually coping a series of large files to or from the WHS. Or in the evening when its doing the initial backup of a PC. Are you seeing it at another time?

Educating a family member on when they can or cannot copy large files is easy enough. I'm not concerned about the initial backup, as when the initial backup is finished subsequent backups go really fast!

As Ken suggested in another thread, you should use Connect to be certain that MS sees your suggests & allow other to vote for the suggestion.

Jay

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 4:28 PM
  • The situations where I have seen Home Server consuming lot of bandwidth without human interaction is when doing backup.

But you can also see the situation where friends are using the internet bandwith from somewhere outside the house. It is not easy to educate everyone you grant remote access to your Home Server.

The bandwith on local LAN used by members of the household is not an issue. The problem occur when friends you have granted access is using all your bandwidth exchanging files with your Home Server from the Internet somewhere.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:50 AM
  •  mem12345678 wrote:

The situations where I have seen Home Server consuming lot of bandwidth without human interaction is when doing backup.

But you can also see the situation where friends are using the internet bandwith from somewhere outside the house. It is not easy to educate everyone you grant remote access to your Home Server.

The bandwith on local LAN used by members of the household is not an issue. The problem occur when friends you have granted access is using all your bandwidth exchanging files with your Home Server from the Internet somewhere.

As I stated, once a backup is complete, backups should not comsume any real bandwidth. Or if it does its for a very brief period; my backups take 10 to 15 minutes.

Its very easy to educate friends who abuse bandwith. Tell the friend, if they don't stop, disable the friend ;-)

IMHO I don't see WHS as a platform to share data with friends, I see it more as a platform to share data with your immediate family.

Although I do agree having the ability to control the bandwidth might be nice, if you haven't yet be certain to submit a suggestion on Connect with as complete an explaination as possible.

Jay

Thursday, April 26, 2007 5:20 PM
  • I could easily see WHS being a platform to share vacation photos and what-not with an extended family, eliminating the need to use something like the Kodak picture sharing service.

That said, I don't think bandwidth will be a large issue given that most download speeds is dramatically faster than upload speeds so if friends or family are downloading pictures it is using your upload speed and shouldn't have too much impact on your internet use. My .02 is that a bandwidth feature would be a nice bell and whistle, but I don't see it as being terribly important.

Friday, April 27, 2007 9:19 PM
  •  jseymour wrote:

I could easily see WHS being a platform to share vacation photos and what-not with an extended family, eliminating the need to use something like the Kodak picture sharing service.

That said, I don't think bandwidth will be a large issue given that most download speeds is dramatically faster than upload speeds so if friends or family are downloading pictures it is using your upload speed and shouldn't have too much impact on your internet use. My .02 is that a bandwidth feature would be a nice bell and whistle, but I don't see it as being terribly important.

the problem is that they'll gobble up your upload speed & leave you with a hobbled internet connection ... try uploading something to a fast ftp server and see how the rest of your internet is effected.

limits would be very, very nice.
    Monday, July 2, 2007 6:34 PM
  • What I've done is set up some QoS rules in my router/firewall, which allows me to limit the WHS upstream bandwidth. Not all routers support this, but you should check and see if yours perhaps does.

I don't bother limiting the downstream bandwidth, BTW.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 1:54 AM