none
Can't access Windows Home Server from any client or via remote access RRS feed

• Question

• I've had a DIY Windows Home Server running for about six months now, with almost no problems. It's set to automatic update and has all outstanding patches as far as I am aware.

This morning, it wouldn't accept remote access attempts (https://website.homeserver.com). This was irritating, but not disastrous.

This afternoon, the situation has deteriorated. I now cannot use WHS console on any of the attached clients (mix of Windows XP and Win7 machines). The WHS icon in the system tray is grey, and the message is "The computer cannot connect to your home server." Furthermore, I cannot access any of the files on the home server through the network. Finally, I can't ping the home server from any of the clients - it has a fixed IP which is outside the DHCP range.

I can see the client machines from the WHS box, and can ping them and the router successfully.

I suspect a remote access problem, but have no idea where to start. I am dreading having to do a system recovery, as I have a couple of drivers to load at start-up time, and the driver disks are currently in storage as we are shortly moving house!

Please can anyone tell me if there's a straightforward way to get back to where I was yesterday.

Many thanks for any help

Jonathan

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Jonathan,

did you already perform a reboot of the server (and the clients)?
    Could you post the output of ipconfig /all from the server? Is the IP address listed here the same, which a client would ping, if you ping it by name?
    Can you see any related error messages or warnings in the event log of the server?
    Could be an update of a security suite on your clients the culprit?

To exclude a hardware isse - try upgrading the network drivers on the server.
    Also swap the network cable and the port used on the router/switch. (Upgrading the firmware on and rebooting the router may also help.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:18 PM
  • Hi Olaf

Apologies for the delay in replying.

Sadly, all your suggestions already tried without success. However, WHS box has now degraded to the extent that I can only boot into Safe mode. So I have spent the last week copying 3TB of data onto a spare NAS box - belt and braces - and will then do a server recovery on the main WHS device. I know server recovery is supposed to kaap the data files, but I don't *really* understand tombstones and duplication, and better safe than sorry.

Roll on Vail, where I believe I will be able to do a system drive backup at regular intervals.

Thanks again

Jonathan

Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:03 AM