Want to use XP CD but not sure about the number RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 copies of XP, all fully legal 2 came with dell laptops 1 I bought

I want to use Virtual PC using a redundant CD It has a number on the CD sleeve which begins "DS/N IE 06U814......" is this the key for this copy of XP? if not what are my chances of getting one?

jnc
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:27 PM

Answers

• Hello jnc,

The two copies of XP that came with your Dell laptops are OEM SLP licenses for XP.  They are permanently married to the Dell computer and cannot be moved to or used on any other computer, regardless of whether the potential destination computer is a vitrual or real machine.

The third one you bought might be a full retail license for XP.  If so the package would have "For PCs without Windows or with Windows 95", and the installation CD would not have "Upgrade" or "For disribution with a new PC only" imprinted in the CD's holographic label.  If it is indeed a full retail license, and this license is not currently installed and activated on any other computer, including the computer that will be hosting the virtual machine, then the license is free and can be installed into the Virtual Machine.

BTW the DP/N and DS/N are Dell part and stock numbers, they are not Windows Product Keys.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by jnc Friday, April 30, 2010 4:49 PM
    Friday, April 30, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Hello jnc,

You wrote, "I was able to install one of the Dell ones on Virtual PC on a Dell laptop which now has the Host OS 'Dell' XP xxx key and Virtual PC OS 'Dell' XP xxx key (same key on the same machine installed twice)"

This is a violation of the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).  The OEM SLP EULA allows an OEM SLP license to be installed only on the computer onto which it was first installed.  The Virtual PC that is running the second interation of the Dell OEM SLP license is not the real Dell computer onto which this license was first installed, thus making it a nongenuine use of this Dell OEM SLP license.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Friday, April 30, 2010 5:15 PM
  • Hello jnc,

The EULA does not permit you to use any operating system that came preinstalled on one computer on any other computer.

That means you are not permitted to install any copy of Windows that came on any Dell you had on any computer other than that exact Dell computer it came with in the first place.

That also means that the license for Windows on the real computer that is running the software that creates the Virtual Machine is already taken up by the real computer and connot be used for the Virtual Machine.

And because the Virtual Machine is considered a separate and completely new computer for licensing purposes, it needs its own license.  The best license to use for the XP that is to run on the Virtual Machine is a full retail license for XP.

Saturday, May 1, 2010 2:01 PM

All replies

• Hello jnc,

The two copies of XP that came with your Dell laptops are OEM SLP licenses for XP.  They are permanently married to the Dell computer and cannot be moved to or used on any other computer, regardless of whether the potential destination computer is a vitrual or real machine.

The third one you bought might be a full retail license for XP.  If so the package would have "For PCs without Windows or with Windows 95", and the installation CD would not have "Upgrade" or "For disribution with a new PC only" imprinted in the CD's holographic label.  If it is indeed a full retail license, and this license is not currently installed and activated on any other computer, including the computer that will be hosting the virtual machine, then the license is free and can be installed into the Virtual Machine.

BTW the DP/N and DS/N are Dell part and stock numbers, they are not Windows Product Keys.

• Marked as answer by jnc Friday, April 30, 2010 4:49 PM
    Friday, April 30, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Thank you very much I suspected the number was  not a code

Your reference to the Dell machines  would explain why I was able to install one of the Dell ones on Virtual PC on a Dell laptop which now has the Host OS 'Dell' XP xxx key and Virtual PC OS 'Dell' XP xxx key (same key on the same machine installed twice) I presume if I move the virtual drive to another computer (non Dell) I will have problems.

The Copy I purchased separately is one I got in 2002 the whole face is a hologram if that is what you mean this version is currently in use on a non Dell machine, I guess if I move to Win 7 I will be able to use this

Thanks again

jnc
    Friday, April 30, 2010 4:51 PM
  • Hello jnc,

You wrote, "I was able to install one of the Dell ones on Virtual PC on a Dell laptop which now has the Host OS 'Dell' XP xxx key and Virtual PC OS 'Dell' XP xxx key (same key on the same machine installed twice)"

This is a violation of the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).  The OEM SLP EULA allows an OEM SLP license to be installed only on the computer onto which it was first installed.  The Virtual PC that is running the second interation of the Dell OEM SLP license is not the real Dell computer onto which this license was first installed, thus making it a nongenuine use of this Dell OEM SLP license.

Friday, April 30, 2010 5:15 PM
  • Ok, Thanks for that, I did wonder

I will have to see if I can find the correct code for my older version of Dell XP and use that on my virtual machine

jnc
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 10:53 AM
  • Hello jnc,

The EULA does not permit you to use any operating system that came preinstalled on one computer on any other computer.

That means you are not permitted to install any copy of Windows that came on any Dell you had on any computer other than that exact Dell computer it came with in the first place.

That also means that the license for Windows on the real computer that is running the software that creates the Virtual Machine is already taken up by the real computer and connot be used for the Virtual Machine.

And because the Virtual Machine is considered a separate and completely new computer for licensing purposes, it needs its own license.  The best license to use for the XP that is to run on the Virtual Machine is a full retail license for XP.

Saturday, May 1, 2010 2:01 PM
  • well, you have told me
    jnc
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 2:06 PM