Sharing Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have a test system running Vail and have copied Photos and Music to it from WHS 1 server.  I have two user accounts on the server, still have WHS 1 connector software on client which is running Windows 7.  I can see the shared Music and Pictures folders on Vail along with the folders for the songs and pictures.  When I try to open either music or photo folders I get "you do not have permission to access \\Vail-Server\Pictures\folder-name.  Contact your network administrator to request access.  Any ideas on what I am doing wrong.
    Tom
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:03 PM

Answers

• If you have set your server up with a homegroup, the homegroup permissions will override the share permissions unless you use the Launchpad to log in. I believe Microsoft intends for share permissions to control access in future builds.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:06 PM

All replies

• If you have set your server up with a homegroup, the homegroup permissions will override the share permissions unless you use the Launchpad to log in. I believe Microsoft intends for share permissions to control access in future builds.
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:06 PM
  • I had this issue when I had two shared folders of the same name on the network. Have you named your Vail folders the same as your WHS folders?

Also did you set up the folders using the dashboard and have you changed them at all via RDP? This again caused me problems, advice from Ken Warren helped me sort this by using the default unchanged folder set up by the Dashboard. Any additional folders set up via RDP were shared Read & Write to the Homegroup and all work OK now.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:22 PM
  • I have gotten sharing to work but I am not sure how I did it.  I probably have too many permissions turned on. 
    Tom
    Friday, June 4, 2010 2:25 PM

I came across that "issue", which I'm happy to call a bug. I had a Homegroup running and was initially able to access the shared files I had set permissions for, but after a sleep/wake cycle I was unable. I fixed this by leaving the Homegroup. While I was experiencing the lack of access I was unable to view my permissions in the dashboard. Leaving the homegroup, and restarting the dashboard fixes this.

The Homegroup doesn't seem to offer a great deal while I'm running WHS. It seems to be a weaker method of doing the same thing - sharing files between the network. I realise there is more to it than that, but WHS for me at least replaces my need for a Homegroup, so until the WHS team decide what to do about it, I'm not going to be bothered by it.

Monday, August 2, 2010 12:57 AM