what functionalities would Speech server provide over OCS RRS feed

• Question

• We have been using OCS 2007 for a while, I am curious to know what value does Speech Server adds to OCS Server. We do not have Speech Server deployed yet. If we were to deploy it what functionalities would it provide to us over OCS?

Regards,

Vivek Garg
    Monday, October 29, 2007 9:47 AM

All replies

•  

Speech Server allows you to create an IVR (Interactive Voice Response) system. An IVR is a system that answers telephone calls and uses Touch Tone input or voice recognition to collect information from the caller.  An IVR can also do outbound calling. That is, it can call users if you have the telephone numbers it needs to call.  So if you need a system that has such functionality, that is what Speech Server would provide.

I hope that helps.

Monday, October 29, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Hello,

Could speech server be also used to develop peer to peer voice applications?

Thanks for all your help!

Regards,
    Vivek Garg
    Monday, October 29, 2007 5:16 PM
  •  

I am not really sure what you mean by Peer to Peer. 

Speech Server can do a transfer where if one caller calls the system, they can be transferred to another caller, thereby connecting two telephone users together.  One or both of the users could be using "soft phones", where the phone is software running on a computer.

That could be useful for example if you are using Speech Server as an Automated directory service where when a caller calls, they are asked, using speech recognition, who they would like to contact. Once recognized, the system could look up the number of the person the caller is trying to get a hold of and be connected automatically.

Let me know if this is what you had in mind.

Monday, October 29, 2007 6:01 PM
  • Thanks a lot.

I was thinking if it was possible to develop applications where none of the users are using telephones. It looks like soft-phones can be used in such a scenario. Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Vivek Garg
    Tuesday, October 30, 2007 6:01 AM
  •  

Yes exactly.  Soft phones preclude the use of any telephony hardware. The real benefit to Speech Server is to be able to develop applications that use Voice Recognition or touch tone to accomplish a task via telephone.  If all you want is to provide point-to-point voice communication without any voice recognition, instant messaging can do that, which OCS also supports.

Take Care

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 12:41 PM