none
WGA(KB905474) will not install with automatic updates RRS feed

• Question

• I am using a volume license of XP on a domain with a group policy defined to download updates automaticaly and schedule to install at 4:00pm. Normaly, automatic updates will install any critical updates without querstion. Why will this one update refuse to install automatically, this preventing any aditional updates from being installed?

Am I forced to install this manually?

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 8:53 PM

Answers

• Hello Morty,

Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB905474) is an opt-in program. When the installer is launched an installation windows will come up and first explains what Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications is and then requires the user to select either I Agree or I Do No Agree to the License Agreement.

To answer your question, Yes, manual input is required to install this software.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

----------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 10:33 PM
  • Morty:

Have you tried using WSUS instead of Automatic Updates to automatically update your domain PC's? The WGA Notifications software is not designed to be installed silently and automatically for privacy concerns. That being said, WGA Notifications KB905474 is NOT published WSUS and is much more prominent to use in your specific situation.

-phil

Thursday, April 5, 2007 7:56 AM
  • Hi Morty,

Yes, this is expected behavior. If you have Automatic Updates set to Download and Install automatically, WGA installer will not launch and must be launched manually (as you describe) by launching AU from the system tray.

I believe the design decision was that in the scenario where Automatic Updates is set to Download and Install automatically, the assumption was that a user would (most likely) not be present and since the WGA installer requires user input, it will just not launch.

I believe Phil's suggestion would be a better solution for your situation.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

--------------------------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 10:03 PM

All replies

• Hello Morty,

Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB905474) is an opt-in program. When the installer is launched an installation windows will come up and first explains what Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications is and then requires the user to select either I Agree or I Do No Agree to the License Agreement.

To answer your question, Yes, manual input is required to install this software.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 10:33 PM
  • Hi Darin,

To be more precise, Automatic Updates never launches the install of the wga update. Only after launching Automatic Updates from the yellow shield in the system tray, choosing either express or custom install and selecting the update... it will then install. See pic:
    http://www.twobrothersdemolition.com/wga_au.bmp

Other critical updates will install automatically and this is how all the PC's on this domain are configured in the group policy. I understand that this update is an opt-in kind of like Internet Explorer 7.0 but other critical updates aren't available until the WGA update is installed. Unless there is a way around this problem, this is going to be very tedious to touch every machine.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 12:43 AM
  • Morty:

Have you tried using WSUS instead of Automatic Updates to automatically update your domain PC's? The WGA Notifications software is not designed to be installed silently and automatically for privacy concerns. That being said, WGA Notifications KB905474 is NOT published WSUS and is much more prominent to use in your specific situation.

-phil

Thursday, April 5, 2007 7:56 AM
  • Hi Morty,

Yes, this is expected behavior. If you have Automatic Updates set to Download and Install automatically, WGA installer will not launch and must be launched manually (as you describe) by launching AU from the system tray.

I believe the design decision was that in the scenario where Automatic Updates is set to Download and Install automatically, the assumption was that a user would (most likely) not be present and since the WGA installer requires user input, it will just not launch.

I believe Phil's suggestion would be a better solution for your situation.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

Thursday, April 5, 2007 10:03 PM
  • Tell that to the Service Support people who had to spend 2 hours on the phone with me to tell me they didn't know what was wrong!!!

IT TOOK A LOCAL PRIVATE TECHNICIAN 5 MINUTES!!!!

Do I really need to say anything about where this update belongs?

Sorry, if you don't sit comfortably in the morning at work.

Friday, April 6, 2007 6:27 AM
  • Is there a way to push WGA to domain computers using Group Policy?

Thursday, February 28, 2008 11:01 PM