console reporting "ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE IS EITHER NOT INSTALLED OR IS OUT OF DATE" and "WINDOWS FIREWALL IS TURNED OFF" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have recently performed a server recovery on my WHS. Everything appears okay and all the shared folders/data seems fine. However, i cant seem to clear the notification in the WHS console that 1) my windows firewall is turned off and 2) my antivirus software is either not installed or is out of date on the client pc. On the client pc meanwhile, Norton 360 is fine; its console is saying 'Protected' in all 4 of its security components. The Action Centre (Win7) on the client is not reporting any issues with either the firewall or antivirus. Yes windows firewall is off, but this is because Norton 360 f/wall is being used instead. The only difference to my previous config, was that i was running Norton 360 v3 prior to the server recovery. Is this a MS issue in that the WHS is reporting a false positive? ie there is nothing wrong with my a/v or firewall. Or is this a Norton issue?

I have reran the WHS connector software from the server/Software folder and rebooted both the WHS and the client pc but this has not cleared the notification errors.

Thanks in advance for any help

• Edited by gates3 Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:08 PM
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:28 PM

Answers

• thanks again for your input Cruise, if i were able to demod people in here who dont want to help, and re-elect someone else to take their place you would get a thumbs up from me for mod status, every time. I have found another Connect bug which may also be applicable,its url is https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/502745/network-at-risk-message#

However that link for some reason was unviewable to me (page not found - the page has either been moved or you do not have privileges to see this) .. until i reported the link as dead to MS. 

Anyway, here are the screenshots from that page(in case you cant view either) which pretty much advise what you suggested in order to get this MS/WHS bug resolved, so again thanks for helping to get me sorted !

THE ISSUE:

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/2u9sklx.jpg[/IMG]

THE WORKAROUND:

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/jzv6g0.jpg[/IMG]

• Marked as answer by gates3 Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:59 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by gates3 Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by gates3 Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:17 PM
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:40 PM

All replies

• I have tried to recreate the WMI Repository as I have been told this might cause the issue I have been experiencing by carrying out the following steps:

1. Click Start > Run .
    2. Type the following and click OK .
    services.msc
    3. The Services window appears. In the right pane, right-click  Windows Management Instrumentation service, and select Stop .

4. Close the Services window.

5. Navigate to the following folder from My Computer :

C:\Windows\System32\wbem

6. Delete the "repository" folder.

7. Click Start > Run .
    8. Type the following and click OK .
    services.msc
    9. The Services window appears. In the right pane, right-click  Windows Management Instrumentation service, and select Start .

10. Restart the computer.

However that didnt clear the notifications on my WHS, the WHS tray icon in the taskbar is still showing red, and the WHS console is reporting the network as being critical, and the 2 notification warnings -  (antivirus out of date or not installed, and the Windows Firewall are turned off) are still listed  under the Home Network Health panel as needing to be addressed...i'm not sure what else to try next.. is there anybody able to help here?

Monday, May 24, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Does anyone know what would cause the WHS to not recognise the antivirus installed on a client pc?
    Monday, May 24, 2010 1:58 PM
  • can someone from the Windows Server Team, MVP or moderator acknowledge if the following defect is applicable for my problem :

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/533368/whs-connector-reports-no-antivirus-turns-red-on-client-shutdown

trying to research this problem myself has been a bind and i am little concerned at the lack of involvement/response from any one connected with MS WHS team if even to ask for more information from me...

Monday, May 24, 2010 7:09 PM
  • I realise people lead busy lives but have all the Windows Server Team left the building? Is there still such a thing as support for Windows Home Server PP1 or does this forum only support Vail users now?
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:00 PM
  • I think there is a seperate forum for Vail.

There is a known problem with Win7 reporting/reported as out of date/turned off virus protection and firewalls. It does this to me using Microsofts own Security Essentials. It has also reported it on shutdown of the client too (occasionally). I don't know if there is a real answer to the problem. I am convinced that the problem lies in Windows 7 not WHS but who knows. Maybe SP1 for Win7 will clear the problem. I don't see this issue on Windows XP, but I only have one XP computer left around the house.

Sometimes MS is less than willing to admit there is a bug or problem with their products and because they are so big, getting cooperation between groups within MS might not be an easy thing to accomplish.

Cruise

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:06 PM
  • hi cruiseman thanks for the response it is appreciated. If this is a known problem why is in not in the FAQ's or stickied someplace prominent in these forums?.I've wasted days trying to get answers out of the Windows Server Team but they are all out making like ostriches, buriying their heads in the sand hiding from questions, whilst the rest of their colleagues are out getting chest waxes or playing volleyball.

Yeah i think i know what you mean about it being Windows 7; if i uncheck all the settings under the Security messages section of the Change Action Center settings panel, then i get a clean bill of health and the WHS icon turns green, but then i dont know whether i genuinely have any issues with my av or firewall which does kind of defeat the object of having a smart monitoring system.

As far as MS is concerned, to just ignore the issue is disgusting. As for no-one in the Windows Server Team acknowledging the fact or even responding in here on the issue, kind of speaks volumes in itself and serves to not only highlight their lack of personal integrity but also their general unwillingness to help genuine MS WHS PP1 customers.

• Proposed as answer by mwlaz Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:23 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by gates3 Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:59 PM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:06 PM
  • One thing you could try is to go into the control panel, select administrative tools, then services and scroll to Security Center. Change the startup type to Automatic (Delayed Start) and see if that helps with the warnings.

It didn't eliminate the problem for me, but it did slow a lot of the warnings down.

Cruise

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:10 PM
  • thanks again for your input Cruise, if i were able to demod people in here who dont want to help, and re-elect someone else to take their place you would get a thumbs up from me for mod status, every time. I have found another Connect bug which may also be applicable,its url is https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/502745/network-at-risk-message#

However that link for some reason was unviewable to me (page not found - the page has either been moved or you do not have privileges to see this) .. until i reported the link as dead to MS. 

Anyway, here are the screenshots from that page(in case you cant view either) which pretty much advise what you suggested in order to get this MS/WHS bug resolved, so again thanks for helping to get me sorted !

THE ISSUE:

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/2u9sklx.jpg[/IMG]

THE WORKAROUND:

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/jzv6g0.jpg[/IMG]

• Marked as answer by gates3 Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:59 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by gates3 Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by gates3 Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:17 PM
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:40 PM