MS Exam 70-515 format? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

I'm about to take my first MS exam and I'm heading for the VS 2010 certification path. As a web developer I'll start off with 70-515 which should be the easiest for me to pass, but I'm wondering what format the exam takes.

Do you get a virtual machine with VS2010 and write code that you submit, or is it multiple choice questions or something else?

Do you get negative points for getting questions wrong?

Can you go back to the questions you've passed?

Do you get allocated a certain amount of time per question or is it for the full exam?

Anything else that can be shared freely about the exams?

I have this view of the exam in my mind where you get a virtual machine set up with Visual Studio 2010 and you're asked a series of questions and you write the code or make the changes required and you submit them to be verified. It's probably not how it works at all. :)

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Daniel,

I haven't taken this one but from experience the following pointers:

- Go for multiple choice questions

- You don't get negatives for wrong answers they just won't count (only the correct ones are counted)

- You can go back to questions you have passed

- you get allocated time for the total exam. You decide how long to spent on a question ;-)

- Make the right choice at the beginning of the exam. You will be asked if you would like to go fo VB or C#. Once chosen you can't go back. If you choose there will be a confirmation dialog if you are sure and after that point it starts.

Good luck on taking the exam!

Maurice

Maurice
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:27 AM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:50 PM
  • One suggestion that I provide:

If, after reading a question, you don't know the answer right away and you expect that you are going to need several minutes to think it out, then don't stop at that question. Select any random answer, and click the checkbox on top of the screen that marks this question as "selected for reviewing later" (sorry, I don't remember the exact label on the checkbox, but that's its purpose). After you have finished all the questions, you have the option to review all the questions, or only those that you marked. In this way, you can spend the rest of the available time on those questions that you left out during the first pass.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

I haven't taken this one but from experience the following pointers:

- Go for multiple choice questions

- You don't get negatives for wrong answers they just won't count (only the correct ones are counted)

- You can go back to questions you have passed

- you get allocated time for the total exam. You decide how long to spent on a question ;-)

- Make the right choice at the beginning of the exam. You will be asked if you would like to go fo VB or C#. Once chosen you can't go back. If you choose there will be a confirmation dialog if you are sure and after that point it starts.

Good luck on taking the exam!

Maurice

Maurice
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:50 PM
  • One suggestion that I provide:

If, after reading a question, you don't know the answer right away and you expect that you are going to need several minutes to think it out, then don't stop at that question. Select any random answer, and click the checkbox on top of the screen that marks this question as "selected for reviewing later" (sorry, I don't remember the exact label on the checkbox, but that's its purpose). After you have finished all the questions, you have the option to review all the questions, or only those that you marked. In this way, you can spend the rest of the available time on those questions that you left out during the first pass.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:31 AM
  • Ah, didn't realise you can mark questions like that. That's pretty handy!
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:59 AM