Tuneup Not Defraging HDD RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hey

Whenever i run a tuneup at the end of the report it says an unknown problem stoped defraging or something... But i can manually defrag the hdd via windows..

Sunday, July 29, 2007 8:17 AM

Answers

• This Has been an on going Issue It'll be resolved in the near future.

I would still file a Bug report details how you saw the defrag and cleaned up behaved when it did try to run because some systems with second Hard drives it's skipped them.

Still File a Bug Report

Sunday, July 29, 2007 11:30 PM

All replies

• This Has been an on going Issue It'll be resolved in the near future.

I would still file a Bug report details how you saw the defrag and cleaned up behaved when it did try to run because some systems with second Hard drives it's skipped them.

Still File a Bug Report

Sunday, July 29, 2007 11:30 PM
  • Yes! Defrag can be done manually, so why is there not an option in Live One care for manual control over defrag. In my case, I am running distributed computing programs which require 24/7 operation, with manually controlled pauses in these programs  for computer maintenance including defrag.

Of all the functions in Live One-Care, defrag is the only one which will crash the programs, which are uploading data at random times to foreign servers. Defrag may interrupt the uploads, causing crashes, and lost work.

As a matter of interest, the current program is "climateprediction.net".  If you have spare CPU time/space, maybe you could contribute that to the cause of investigating climate change.

Mattcooper, I am not really replying to your post, but it is the closest I could find to this problem. Thanks.

Friday, September 14, 2007 3:05 PM
  • jehop, Defrag under OneCare will only run as part of a scheduled Tune-up. If you are running Vista, Defrag is always running in the background and is not controlled by OneCare.

-steve

Friday, September 14, 2007 6:31 PM
  • Stephen:  Thank you.

So the only way to manually control defrag is to set up a ""convenient"" time for Tuneup, and exit any programs which might be affected. (There is no "manual" on Tuneup either.)  Set up the Scheduler????

I just can't go back to MacAfee.   

Saturday, September 15, 2007 12:01 AM
  • Yes. The tune-up is enabled to run monthly by default. You can change that schedule as desired. The one issue that was often reported in 1.x was that tune-up didn't always adhere to its own schedule, so if that happens in 2.0, you might still run into an issue. To change the schedule, open OneCare, click on change settings and navigate through the options there.

-steve

Saturday, September 15, 2007 12:19 AM