No console access RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS worked fine, until an error message showed an error for an USB-disc. Now it was no longer possible to use the console ("no backup service running"), although the file sharing funtions all work well. I would need the console to change the disk, but the console access fails. The toolkit even in advanced mode does not help. What would you recommend to do?

Thanks in advance from Germany :-)

Matthias

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:16 PM

Answers

• Matthias,

I think probably one of your remaining options is to do a re-install. This will retain your data, just renew the operating system partition. After installation, you will need to re-add your Clients and any Add-Ins you may have had installed.

Note that a re-installation can take quite some time as it rebuilds all your tombstones etc.

Colin

Sunday, June 15, 2008 2:00 PM

All replies

• Are you able to use the Remote Desktop Connection and access your WHS?
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:22 PM
  • Have you rebooted the Server, also, what does the Error message say?

If you have a disk error on a pooled disk, the Backup Service cannot run correctly, so you need to figure out what has gone wrong.

Colin

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:25 PM
  • Yes, I can use the RDC and access the WHS. If I try to call the console via RDC, the program terminates with th error "no backup service running"

Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:03 AM
  • If the filesystem on the USB disk is still ok you can try:

1. logon to your WHS using RDP

2. Connect the USB disk

3. Open explorer window, browse to folder DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} on the USB disk

4. Copy all files in that folder to D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}

5. Now try opening the console again.

Alternatively you can install Powerpack 1 Beta, Power Pack 1 Release Candidate NOW AVAILABLE !! , this should allow you to open the console window even if the backup service is not running

Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:14 AM
  • Hi Colin,

yes, I rebootet the server (several times), and the error message says, that a (pooled) disk (via USB) is faulty, therefore the backup service cannot run, and that causes the console program to terminate. The advice in the error message is to add a new disk and use the console (!) to release the erroneuos disk. But without console access that is not an option.

Any idea? By the way: the access to the files still works fine from all other client computers, although everywhere the error shows up that the WHS integrity is in danger: "Please use the WHS console to evaluate the problem!", but as before: without console this advice doesn't help.

Thanks for your support - Matthias

By the way: the new beta package will only work with an US/EN system - German won't do...

Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:14 AM
  • Did you read my post?

If copying the files back into the folder fails or can not be done there's another option, so please let me know the result when you tried this.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:35 AM
  •  brubber wrote:

Did you read my post?

If copying the files back into the folder fails or can not be done there's another option, so please let me know the result when you tried this.

Hi Brubber,

copying did not work - I do see the D: disk, but not the USB-disk.

Thanks from Germany - Matthias

Thursday, June 12, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Matthias,

Have you tried unplugging/re-plugging the USB-disk? Also, try plugging it into one of the other computers, depending of what's there, you should be able to see something, at least it would show if the drive is still working OK.

What type of disk is it, there were cases where some of the USB disks went into something like powersaving andWHS would think it had lost the disk. Also, have you tried another USB port on the server.

Colin

Thursday, June 12, 2008 8:12 PM
  •  MatVering wrote:
     brubber wrote:

Did you read my post?

Hi Brubber,

copying did not work - I do see the D: disk, but not the USB-disk.

Thanks from Germany - Matthias

OK,

Before you start with the following instructions please:

If you have more then one (internal or external) storage disks these may also contain your backups. If so please first try copying your backups to another location using the instructions in Home Computer Backup, around page 23. When done, or if this fails:

1. If you browse to C:\fs\ you will see the mountpoints of your storage disks. Please check if the USB disk is one of these.

2. If not:

a. On your WHS do Start, Run, type compmgmt.msc, Hit Enter. Browse to storage, disk management and check if the USB disk is listed. If it please try to assign a drive letter. If this fails, or if you can't see the drive please disconnect / reconnet the disk. Still no disk? then:

b. Please connect the USB disk to another system and check if the files are still accessible. Please note you may have to enable "view hidden files and folders" from windows explorer options to see the hidden DE folder.

3. If you can view the files on another computer please copy them to any windows share, then logon to WHS and copy the files to the correct folder (D:\folders\{000*)

4. If the files are no longer accessible you can consider your backups lost, unless you want to spend time / money on recovery. If you accept loss of your backups:

5. Logon to WHS, open explorer window, browse to D:\folders\{000* and delete all files in this folder. This command will probably fail for one or more files. If so:

a. Please download the cleanup utility from user catsaver; http://calvin-au.com/whscleanup/.

b. Read the instructions run the utility on the folder D:\folders, and cleanup up the folder.

6. After you emptied the folder reboot. You should now be able to acces the console again.

GOOD LUCK.

Friday, June 13, 2008 4:52 AM
  •  brubber wrote:

GOOD LUCK.

Hi Brubber, hi Colin,

thanks for your support. I appreciate your help very much. Here is what I did following your advice:

- checked the WHS with compmgmt.msc - all was fine, accessible, C: and D: was ok and errorfree

- checked the USB disk with annother computer - worked fine, all was accessible

- decided to forget my backups and just erased the folders on D:\folders\{000* and rebooted the WHS:

Now the system shows integrity again (great!), but still the console is not working:

- console from client: program starts, takes 2-3 minutes and then abandons the onnection with "Connection was interrrupted. Please check the Ethernet-conection"

- console from WHS via remote desktop: does not show any user interface, but uses up do 70 MB memory (visible through the task manager)

Any further suggestions and ideas?

Thanks in advance from Germany - and a wunderful sunday :-)

Matthias

Sunday, June 15, 2008 12:48 PM
  • Matthias,

I think probably one of your remaining options is to do a re-install. This will retain your data, just renew the operating system partition. After installation, you will need to re-add your Clients and any Add-Ins you may have had installed.

Note that a re-installation can take quite some time as it rebuilds all your tombstones etc.

Colin

Sunday, June 15, 2008 2:00 PM