no SQL servers listed when importing and organization in deployment manager (CRM 4.0) RRS feed

• Question

• We're testing the feasibility of upgrading from CRM 3.0 to 4.0 via a virtual machine that already has CRM 4.0, and attempting to port the SQL DB over. I've been attempting to follow the installation guide as closely as possible, but it does not seem entirely applicable, since CRM 4.0 is already installed on the virtual machine (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1ceb5e01-de9f-48c0-8ce2-51633ebf4714&displaylang=en)

The Organization_MSCRM SQL DB has been backed up from the 3.0 machine and restored to the 4.0 VM. From my understanding, what I need to do next is run the Deployment Manager and import the organization.

The problem is that there are no entries in the "SQL Servers" list. I assume this is because the VM is not connected, or the SQL server is not running. Does that make sense? Why would this list not be populated, and how might I fix this?
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:18 PM

Answers

•  Tim Partridge wrote:

The Organization_MSCRM SQL DB has been backed up from the 3.0 machine and restored to the 4.0 VM. From my understanding, what I need to do next is run the Deployment Manager and import the organization.

Not exactly, you need to install 4.0 on a server that already has 3.0 installed on it.  This is called an in-place upgrade

Sometimes the list is not populated, and you have to type in the name of the sql server. 

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:40 PM