The best setup for new EX470? RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased a new HP ex470 and would like to add another drive for backup.  I am looking at purchasing a Caviar green wd10eacs 1tb sata 3.o Gb/sec ($99 at newegg).  I  have read a few articles suggesting using this drive as my system drive.  I have also read that it is better to have 3 drives total...

system drive  .....   the 500 Gb that comes with it
    Caviar 1 tb   
    Caviar 1 tb  as backup

Also, are these good drives for the money? 

Any thoughts would be appreciated since I am new into the home server market? 

By the way, on Home Server Hacks they showed my how to purchase the EX470 for $299. 

Thanks
    STeve
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 5:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Steve,
    the disk configuration you plan to go with sounds fine. And yes, going with 3 disks is the best solution if it comes to distribution of files - the system drive will be kept free from data (after Power Pack 1 installation) as long as possible, which simplifies a server recovery, if the primary disk fails. On a second drive all the data and backups will be stored, as long as there is enough free space and on the 3rd drive the content of duplicated folders. This is, as long as there is sufficient space on one disk, later the files may be redistributed. This is a scenario without a disk as backup disk for shared folders, between.
    For backups of Shared folders it is recommedned to have an external drive (or multiple) and keep at least one offsite and disconnected (in case there is something like overvoltage hitting your entire home server with all components or fire or water damage happening).

About the prices of the disks I cannot say much - you know, IT components are always too expensive, after you just paid the money and there may be regional differences. But 99 USD sounds reasonable. I have also two of these disks in my Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo Home Server, and they do their job.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by StevenMO Monday, November 24, 2008 6:14 AM
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 12:23 PM
  • WD green dives work great. The also run much cooler then other drives.

If you feel lucky you can order the segate 1.5 TB's for no extra cost per GB but the reviews are running abou 50% DOA.

Most people in the know recommend leaving the 500GB os drive alone and just adding larger drives to the storage pool.

This is because nothing will be stored on the OS drive unless all other drives are full and there is no other possible place to place yourdata on.
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve,
    the disk configuration you plan to go with sounds fine. And yes, going with 3 disks is the best solution if it comes to distribution of files - the system drive will be kept free from data (after Power Pack 1 installation) as long as possible, which simplifies a server recovery, if the primary disk fails. On a second drive all the data and backups will be stored, as long as there is enough free space and on the 3rd drive the content of duplicated folders. This is, as long as there is sufficient space on one disk, later the files may be redistributed. This is a scenario without a disk as backup disk for shared folders, between.
    For backups of Shared folders it is recommedned to have an external drive (or multiple) and keep at least one offsite and disconnected (in case there is something like overvoltage hitting your entire home server with all components or fire or water damage happening).

About the prices of the disks I cannot say much - you know, IT components are always too expensive, after you just paid the money and there may be regional differences. But 99 USD sounds reasonable. I have also two of these disks in my Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo Home Server, and they do their job.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 12:23 PM
  • WD green dives work great. The also run much cooler then other drives.

If you feel lucky you can order the segate 1.5 TB's for no extra cost per GB but the reviews are running abou 50% DOA.

Most people in the know recommend leaving the 500GB os drive alone and just adding larger drives to the storage pool.

This is because nothing will be stored on the OS drive unless all other drives are full and there is no other possible place to place yourdata on.
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:21 PM
  • Thanks for your advise...I am looking forward to setting it all up over Thanksgiving.

Regards
    Steve
    Monday, November 24, 2008 6:13 AM